SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hoping that eherlihy sees this as he seems to be a genius at finding these cross references in all the Universal threads I've read as I wrenched on my engine :)

After multiple rounds of pickling and cursing at my exhaust manifold, it appears that my flooded #1 cylinder is actually a victim of a blown head gasket. I'm hoping to find this head gasket (Universal part number 299392 Universal 299392 Sailboat Supplies, Engine Parts and Boat Parts ) at a Kubota online dealer since TOAD can't ship to Florida (currently laid up in Marathon trying to fix the engine). Does anyone know a site to use to look up the head gasket part number of a b5100 tractor/z500 block? The Kubota dealer in Homestead won't return my call, and the online tractor sites don't seem to have it based on my search strings, and even the Kubota site won't display a parts manual (though there were apparently two models of b5100 tractor with two engine models as well). Thanks for your help!

·
One of None
8,045 Posts
you need to contact a tractor supply that will talk to you on the phone don't waste your time with email and don't use the word marine. You will need the tractor numbers, because that's how all tractor dealers order parts, by the tractor not so much the engine
please read through the numerous posts on the diesel forum here you should find your engine block number since this is your first post welcome to sail net!

Ps. I used a tractor parts dealer on eBay and was very pleased with the transaction for the water pump

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the welcome, Denise! I actually came over from *the other* sailing forum for this question, and know there's a lot of overlap in users :)
I thought I'd read most of those threads after the last few days; it's how I know I have a z500 block (also checked the dipstick to confirm) for a b5100 tractor :)
When you say tractor supply, do you mean a Kubota dealer, or a chain like Tractor Supply Co.? I've called a few Kubota dealers, and can't get through to a person and haven't received any calls back. From your experience, it sounds like I may be able to find the part on eBay so I'll check there too. I guess those are mostly aftermarket parts?

·
One of None
8,045 Posts
U R welcome :)
Ye,s there is a chain of aftermarket parts but better then none.
This is the outfit on Ebay that I used, very pleasant people.
stevenslake on eBay

Tractor dealers are best. Like car dealers they aren't loyal to one. many of the parts reference to the Kubota tractor and they may not even want to know or find the engine number. For head gasket.. order them both! can't be that difficult.

·
One of None
8,045 Posts

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Thanks for the welcome, Denise! I actually came over from *the other* sailing forum for this question, and know there's a lot of overlap in users :)
I thought I'd read most of those threads after the last few days; it's how I know I have a z500 block (also checked the dipstick to confirm) for a b5100 tractor :)
When you say tractor supply, do you mean a Kubota dealer, or a chain like Tractor Supply Co.? I've called a few Kubota dealers, and can't get through to a person and haven't received any calls back. From your experience, it sounds like I may be able to find the part on eBay so I'll check there too. I guess those are mostly aftermarket parts?
Google is your friend!

Universal, Gasket, Head, 299392

....and others

(searched using "Universal part number 299392 head gasket")

Bill

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,139 Posts
Thanks, although I don't think I'm anywhere near a genius...

Anyway, the Kubota part numberS that you seek are 15263-03310 (gasket ~$40) and 15261-03320 (shim ~$20).

I would call Norfolk Power Equipment - (508) 384-0011... (or hire me :))

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,139 Posts
... There is another sailing forum... :confused:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks everyone - no idea how you do it eherlihy! I'll get on the phone with Norfolk Power equipment. I wonder if there's enough of an install base for Universal diesel engines (the numbers I saw only had about 12,000 sold though) for you to set up a web store drop-shipping tractor parts! :)
I'm also a Boston/Florida boater, in that when my job and relationship ended in January, I decided it was time to go sailing in Florida and the Bahamas! Planning to bring my Pearson 28-1 back up to Boston by August, and I hope the Harbor Islands haven't moved by then ;) Used to sail out of BHSC all the time, if you're around, beers are on me, and were you in Marathon, I'd certainly have an engine job for you!

p.s. I'd found the marine suppliers of the gasket, but really hate how Westerbeke gouges Universal owners so wanted to go around them anyway possible. I'm even looking into having a local machine shop make me an exhaust manifold rather than buying that ~$600 part from a Westerbeke dealer.

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,139 Posts
Yeah, I once thought of that. The markup in reselling Kubota Parts as Marine Parts would enable me to keep up with my boat's ongoing demands for new parts. My conscience would torment me though...

As I said, I don't feel that I'm a genius (or even smart). I am just too poor to afford the "Marine" markup.

If you make the trek back, in July/August stop in Narragansett Bay, and I'll take you up on your offer. I currently work for beer money!

Is Mark still running the BHSC? Is Vernon still there?

·
One of None
8,045 Posts
reaches for seavalve on E's boat when he's not looking.... :p

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,139 Posts
Look to Beta Marine or eBay for the exhaust manifold;

eBay Tell this joker that what he is selling is NOT a NOS part, but a USED part. Offer him $100, and tell eBay that he is misrepresenting his item if he does not accept.

·
One of None
8,045 Posts
Look to Beta Marine or eBay for the exhaust manifold;

eBay Tell this joker that what he is selling is NOT a NOS part, but a USED part. Offer him $100, and tell eBay that he is misrepresenting his item if he does not accept.
First time I've seen that manifold for sale anywhere! E! Notice he doesn't have a photo of the end where there is sure to be broken or rusted holes and or studs.

·
One of None
8,045 Posts

·
One of None
8,045 Posts
Useful, but note those are the Universal part numbers, not the Kubota numbers.
I do know that Jim :p It's still a nice pdf to have ;)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I definitely will. Have a soft spot for Rhode Island after rowing on the seekonk for so many years :)
Mark still runs BHSC, and Vern is still there with his 1-foot beard and cable knit sweaters. Closest image I've ever seen of an Irish fisherman. Love the rowe's wharf photo in your avatar.
Luckily my boat came with all the universal parts and service manuals, so getting universal part numbers is no problem. Westerbeke to its credit has put much of this online on their site. What I'd really like is a z500 or b5100 parts manual, then it's a simple matter of looking up the kubota part numbers, but I can't find it on the kubota site.
By the way, my favorite westerbeke scam was when their dealer wanted to charge me $25 for the bleed bolt to my secondary fuel filter and $40 for an oring. $40 for a 10 cent oring!!!! A home depot bolt and a copper washer are working fine so far, though I'll probably replace the Home Depot bolt with a higher grade from fastenal.
Great tip on the manifold from beta. They actually make engines with the same mount patterns as the atomic line (gas and diesel shared the same footprint), so in a moment of desperation I was considering a repower. That one on eBay is actually more expensive than TOAD! Crazy.
Thanks again for the help and I'll drop a line when I'm in the bay. Or, when I get the head off tomorrow and if it turns out my block or head is busted, I'll be back here looking for part numbers :)

·
One of None
8,045 Posts
I have the 2 cylinder 5416. I think it's almost the same block not sure, E would know if the manifold fit. Hopefully the new owner won't to hate me it if exhaust flange leaks more then it is now and he has to fix it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just to close the loop on this (and I thought I'd read all of the universal threads!), another Sailnet user posted a drop box file with the Z500 parts list on this thread: http://www.sailnet.com/forums/diesel/103509-universal-kubota-parts-list-6.html
Hopefully this will help the SEO put this link up front in Google :)
As for me, I'm still trying to get my head off. Stuck to a bolt and a stud; the bolt has sheared, and the stud has the nut off but is still soaking in Sea Foam. Never again with a raw water engine.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts