SailNet Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week, while flying along, double reefed, in 25 knots of wind, my forestay parted. Having the mast come down in conditions like that is no fun at all. Using sheets, halyards, and cables, we were able to secure everything with a spider web of lines and motor home.

Later, at the dock, trying to organize the mess, we found everything pretty much intact. Nothing was broken (except the forestay). It all just folded together without any real damage.

Only things missing were the Windex and a small bracket from the Alado furler.

I called Dave Davenport, the Alado rep, and told him what happened, and asked if they could get me a replacement bracket. He said no problem, they would mail me one.

This morning FedEx knocked on my door. It was the bracket- shipped from the Alado factory ...in Brazil ...intl priority ...Saturday delivery ...on their nickel ...no charge to me.

What a class act! A small but very bright spot in an otherwise very bad situation.

K

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Ouch... sorry to hear about your rig... how bad is the damage??

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No real damage other than the forestay. The mast came down very slowly, (I thought I was in a kung fu movie) and came to rest on the stern pulpit cushioned by lines and sails. It did take out the loran antenna, but I tossed the loran unit a year ago and had been meaning to throw out the antenna anyway.

The boat is a 1978 Cal 2-27, and it's possible those were the original cables. The stay was sheared right at the turnbuckle- slow corrosion at the weakest point. The lesson I learned is to replace all your standing rigging at least every 30 years on the dot, and don't procrastinate.:D

·
Registered
116 Posts
How often do you check your rigging? Due to the salt water element( we dont have that consideration up here)do you spray a water repellant into your turnbuckles to displace the water? I cant remember what it's called but we used it when in salt water and seemed to work well.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How often do you check your rigging?
Obviously not often enough.

Our water here in Pamlico Sound is only a little bit salty- not even enough to taste. It varies a little depending on wind direction and if there has been rain lately, but, on the whole, we don't have any of the real salt water problems you see closer to the ocean.

My inclination would be not to use any kind of treatment other than to hose off obvious salt deposits with fresh water and let things air dry.

There was a tiny little spec of rust at the very end of the cable where it broke. I don't think anyone who is not a professional rigger would have spotted it on casual inspection.

I think the only way to prevent this sort of thing from happening is to know the age of your standing (and running) rigging, and to replace it regularly. How often that would be depends on your location and how you use your boat. BFS enthusiasts like me probably need to do it more often than most. Your local rigger or sailmaker would probably be the one to ask.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Kbyte what the heck is BFS?
I forgot that Your area isn't that salty.We too had a 25kn double reefed sail in your area,from Broad Creek to Adams Creek I think in the 4 times we went past there only once was there not a lot of wind.We liked to anchor in Jonaquin(is that how its spelt?) Creek.Nice and quiet no boats roaring through.
Just love your whole area.Do you ever get to Downey Creek? They are such lovely people at that marina.I just loved her voice over the VHF.Mind you that is a fair distance from you I think.
Take care and have fun
Ellinor

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Yeah, BFS= being terrified but loving every minute on alot of boats.
Thank You on the info.I call it being terrified but loving every minute!
Ellinor

·
Registered
272 Posts
Yes, but...

Back to the original subject, I have been mentioning in every furler related thread on here for the last three years that people should look at the Alado furler. I have one that was inexpensive, easy to install, and works well. Support is great, as mentioned here.

·
Aquaholic
1,139 Posts
Good Info all around!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
people should look at the Alado furler. I have one that was inexpensive, easy to install, and works well. Support is great, as mentioned here.
It was interesting to be able to inspect the bearings after 2 1/2 years of use (although I would just as soon have passed on that opportunity) and not find any sign of wear whatsoever.

Davenport mentioned that Practical Sailor ran a good article on Alado last month. Maybe someone could verify that.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I have been wanting to know if anyone had the Alado furler and what they thought of it. I have an old CDI Reefer 2 that is nearing (rapidly) the end of its life and have been looking at the Alado from a simplicity and ease of installation point of view.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I installed an Alado system on my boat a year ago. Wonderful experience, both with the installation and use. Quality product made in Brazil.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts