SailNet Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at the possability of relocating to either Vancouver, B.C or Los Angeles. I may just but a boat to live on and sail back and forth.
Has anyone done it and how long would it take. I know weather is a factor but just an average would help.

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
IIRC you have about 2000-2500 miles between the two. Summer months the wind usually comes out of the north, so going south reasonably close to shore, say 10-30 miles out is not an issue. Coming north during the summer, a painfull bashing into 5-10' seas. Most will sail dang near to Hawaii then north in the summer.

Winter months, 30-50 mph winds, and 20-40' seas can be found of the coats of Wa and Or. But coming north would be easy, south, major PITA!

Not sure how much this helps or hinders, but figure 7-10 days min one way in better conditions, reasonably fast boat, not an old shoe!

marty

·
19,489 Posts
"Commuting" by boat between LA and Vancouver would be a tough one. This leg of any trip south from here is viewed by many as the worst part of the voyage. Even in "summer" it's typically cool and damp until you're south of Crescent City.

Taking the often-preferred outside route, with, as Marty said, a boat with a good turn of speed would still be 10-14 days for most crews, probably longer heading North. Port hopping the inside would take as long or longer.

For a twice-a-year plan this would be pretty ambitious.

·
Registered
22 Posts
My understanding (& I've not done this) is that heading south from Van is one thing & pretty plain sailing especially if you head offshore for 100 miles or so, but returning...the pits!!!! Like someone else said you basically have to sail out to Hawaii & then over to Van.
Johnno

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
I don't know why you guys are complaining about having to sail out to Hawai'i. Do you have to have a pair of bikini-clad babes along with you as well? What other burdensome requirements must I suffer as I cruise the Pacific?

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Also, there are long stretches of coast, like most of Oregon, where there are few ports that you could head into in the case of bad weather.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I think it would be easier to either get two (less expensive) boats, one in each location or just get a good trailerable boat and haul it back and forth over land which would only take a few days. Eight months in L.A. and four months in Vancouver. Sailing back and forth is just too onerous.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts