SailNet Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
!982 Lyman Morse 46
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I am comtemplating the purchase of a 1969 CAL-Cruising 36 that is currently located in La Paz Mexico. I reside now in Monterey, CA and wanted to hear from sailor that went up the coast from La Paz to San Diego and/or Monterey. Giving the usual head wind, what is a resonable time frame to reach either San Diego or Monterey from La Paz without using the engine. Any other advise on the trip would be appreciated. (What do you thing of the CAL-cruise 36?)

Thank You.

Charles

Monterey,CA

·
Registered
898 Posts
I've done the La Paz to Monterey trip several times. Never sailed it except for the last hundred miles once when the cutlass bearing went out. La Paz to Cabo Falso there is rarely any wind at all except right in the straits E of La Paz. After Cabo Falso to near San Diego the wind is likely on the nose. And the seas. Often near gales. You can either short tack up the beach in the counter current and eddies, or sail out to Hawaii. There is no intermediate method unless you somehow find a rare southerly. After San Diego there is little wind until Punta Conception. Thereafter it is just like the Baja.

Sailing it will take a month or two. Motoring it is about 14 days.

The summertime trip out towards Hawaii and back should be mostly fair conditions.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
My boat's PO sailed my boat from La Paz to Alameda with a stop in Cabo last August. He took the offshore route from Cabo and it was 31 days. Here's his blog entry for it:

Voyage of Laelia: Cabo San Lucas to Alameda

He has other entries that talk about the La Paz -> Cabo segments.

It looks like the boat you're considering has a shorter waterline than my ketch but is significantly lighter with a more efficient rig and rudder and so will probably be faster to windward.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts