SailNet Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To dang diggity hot to sail for us in Arkansas this past weekend with heat indices in the million+ degrees (give or take 999,000), so I just made a trip out to check on the boat. The slip next to mine seemed to be conspicuously empty, except for a mast sticking out of the water. I have looked at this boat almost every weekend including the Friday before it sunk with no signs that it was in trouble. The remnants of Isaac came through last week and raised some waves on the lake, but not in the well protected marina and only brought 3" of rain. So how did this boat sink in a week?

Attachments

·
Remember you're a womble
2,328 Posts
A hole appeared under the water and the bilge pump was either non-automatic, failed or couldn't cope. Probably a through-hull failed, that would sink a boat in pretty short order if not attended to promptly, I know when taking my knot-meter paddle wheel unit out, I get about a quart of water in the boat in a few seconds. It comes in scarily quick!

·
Registered
21,594 Posts
Yup, pop a hose off a thru hull and your bilge pump won't keep up. It will just delay the inevitable to give you time to plug the hole or close the seacock. You need an alarm that gets the attention of the marina.

p.s. this is why I close nearly all of my thru hulls every time I leave overnight.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts