SailNet Community banner

81 - 99 of 99 Posts

·
Banned
17,467 Posts
Is that a Dashew? You'll be able to buy 2 or 3.

Seriously, there HAVE to be performance/stability issues at play here that outweigh other factors (like chafe, etc.). I honestly understand what you're saying. Our main rides on our spreaders and shrouds even on a broad reach - much less running. But I understand the B&R rig to be about stability and strength...which I think is great as well.

So, the details of this kind of stuff is above my head...but it's obviously taking hold in very, very "bluewater" boats.

·
ancient mariner
439 Posts
a great write up jon ! i really enjoyed looking at the pictures. it brought back memories. i was up in that area in 1985. we left duluth,mn on lake superior in june on the sheila yeates . topsail ketch with two yards 50 ft on deck & about 64 ft overall. we went down the lakes & on to newfoundland . we had to head ne from st. anthony because the ice pack extended about 150 miles off labrador. we stopped at ports along the west coast of greenland as far 71degrees north. then south & through prince christian sound & around cape farewell. then south to newfoundland & the us east coast to annapolis, md. if you are ever in lake superior , stop & see me in duluth. i only sail lake superior now on my 30 ft nimble express , since i was 93 on the 4th of july.

·
Less Senior Senior Member
1,445 Posts
Ok, now THAT's a BFS. And any sail you do is one that inspires me. I hope I'm still sailing at 93!
And, Smack- THAT is understated.

·
Registered
86 Posts
"Otherwise, an uneventful and pretty quick passage in a boat with only 25' on the waterline, the 500 NM to St Peter's covered in 4 days, with only a couple of hours of engine run time when the breeze died the last night approaching Cape Canso..."

I could swear your boat looks much larger than that. Did you mean to say 35' on the waterline?
I really enjoyed reading this. Thanks for sharing it with us.

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
"Otherwise, an uneventful and pretty quick passage in a boat with only 25' on the waterline, the 500 NM to St Peter's covered in 4 days, with only a couple of hours of engine run time when the breeze died the last night approaching Cape Canso..."

I could swear your boat looks much larger than that. Did you mean to say 35' on the waterline?
Nope, you read it right, she's just 30' LOA...

A veritable 'Micro-Cruiser', by the standards of today...

;-)

·
Picnic Sailor
2,120 Posts
It's a Boreal.

Jean-François is MR Boreal and MR BFS.

He built a boat in his garden and sailed it around the world with Mrs François and the 4 kids. (Apparently he hadn't read all the CF Rebel Heart threads. Actually given how unconventional his boat was it seems he missed several of the you must expert threads. Tut Tut).

When he came back back (being French :) )he of course decided most other cruising boats he had seen were ****e and that( being French :)) he could probably design and build the best one in the world.

Turns out he may of been right.

Of interest to me, is that while it has a reputation as an expedition yacht he actually envisaged it firstly as just a family cruising yacht.

The brochure happily exclaims ‘a desk in every cabin where bluewater children can do their homework’. Try finding that in a Hunter or even an Island Packet.

Boy do I love the French. I think we have a bottle of champagne in fridge somewhere....BRB.

·
Super Fuzzy Moderator
17,137 Posts
I don't know how I missed this thread - but...

Oh hell yeah!!

Now, Jon, apparently a couple of SNers were a little miffed that I hadn't thrown you the coveted BFS bone - even though I hadn't seen the thread. First off, if I know you, that's not something you exactly lose sleep over. Second, your "limits" are quite a bit beyond virtually every one else's on this forum due to your experience.

So, though you don't care about it, I certainly don't want to offend others' sense of "Big Freakin' Justice".

All that said - this is my favorite...

Very worthy of the coveted stamp.

Well there should be an " applause" thingy. Onya Smack. :)

·
Super Fuzzy Moderator
17,137 Posts
Ah ... yes .... but I did mean more one of those emoticon thingy's rather than a gif but hey .... thanks anyway.

btw ... Smack ... I was in no way miffed, just thought Jon deserved it. Now he has it. All's right with the world.

Reactions: smackdaddy

·
Registered
11,535 Posts
Ah yes, it would be nice if SailNet could add one like this (
) or this (
) to the options. :)

·
Super Fuzzy Moderator
17,137 Posts

Seriously, there HAVE to be performance/stability issues at play here that outweigh other factors (like chafe, etc.). I honestly understand what you're saying. Our main rides on our spreaders and shrouds even on a broad reach - much less running. But I understand the B&R rig to be about stability and strength...which I think is great as well.

So, the details of this kind of stuff is above my head...but it's obviously taking hold in very, very "bluewater" boats.
I guess this is straying somewhat but the swept back spreaders are there to obviate the need for runners where you have an inner forestay. Maybe not always but generally speaking I thought that was the case. Oh yes, also on boats like the later Hunters that don't have a backstay.

We have moderately swept back spreaders and even then they are something of a pain when running though our preventer seems to keep us out of trouble.

·
Banned
17,467 Posts
Ah, the Boreal. Thanks.

And thanks for the clarification on one of the benefits of the swept-back spreaders. Yeah, I think the backstays went away in 91 or 92 on the Hunters. Of course, the absence of a backstay is just as bad as the swept-back spreaders for most trads.

I'm very, very happy not to have to mess with runners. But this is about a "BFS In Labrador" - not how awesome Hunters are.

·
Registered
27 Posts
a great write up jon ! i really enjoyed looking at the pictures. it brought back memories. i was up in that area in 1985. we left duluth,mn on lake superior in june on the sheila yeates . topsail ketch with two yards 50 ft on deck & about 64 ft overall. we went down the lakes & on to newfoundland . we had to head ne from st. anthony because the ice pack extended about 150 miles off labrador. we stopped at ports along the west coast of greenland as far 71degrees north. then south & through prince christian sound & around cape farewell. then south to newfoundland & the us east coast to annapolis, md. if you are ever in lake superior , stop & see me in duluth. i only sail lake superior now on my 30 ft nimble express , since i was 93 on the 4th of july.
Hey Captbillc
WOW is all I can say!!! Absolutely wonderful that you are still sailing at 93. Hope I am able to do anything at that age--never mind keep sailing. I am just getting started and have been telling myself "maybe I will be too old to do much of a passage by the time I become a real sailor." You are an inspiration!

·
Banned
17,467 Posts
Cap - all I can say is I want to be you when I grow up. BFS doesn't even do you justice.

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
Cap - all I can say is I want to be you when I grow up. BFS doesn't even do you justice.
Absolutely...

Not to mention, there's sailing @ 93, and then there's Sailing on Lake Freakin' SUPERIOR @ 93... Hell, if I ever make it that long, my time on the water will likely be on puny Barnegat Bay, where the water depth is never over my head... ;-)

I dunno, "Born on the Fourth of July" seems especially appropriate in bill's case, no?

;-)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wow! What a great read. Hoping to head that way and on into Europe via the Labrador in about 2-3 years. Making me more excited for this! Definitely plan on getting up that way by late June-Early July to enjoy as much of the labrador and decent weather as possible. Thank you for the excellent photos!

·
Administrator
9,071 Posts
Wow! What a great read. Hoping to head that way and on into Europe via the Labrador in about 2-3 years. Making me more excited for this! Definitely plan on getting up that way by late June-Early July to enjoy as much of the labrador and decent weather as possible. Thank you for the excellent photos!
Thank you for reviving this thread. Sadly Jon passed away on Christmas Day a little over a year ago. He was a super person by any measure. He was a good friend who is sorely missed.

Jeff

·
Registered
19 Posts
It has been fantastic reading this... and fantastic thinking he was 93... and so sad is not anymore here... buon vento ovunque tu sia...

Inviato dal mio ASUS_X013D utilizzando Tapatalk

·
Kynntana (Freedom 38)
973 Posts
I had not seen this post before either. What amazing pictures and adventure. Though I had heard of Jon's passing, he continues to impress!

Welcome to SN, EnchantedLang :)

81 - 99 of 99 Posts