SailNet Community banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market to purchase a used boat for this coming spring. I went and looked at a real clean 1998 catalina 22 the other day.

Afterwards, I went searching around the internet to see if the boat's asking price was resonable and if it really was in comparatively good shape for it's age. However, the internet doesn't seem to turn up much in the way of inventory for 90's era Catalina 22's.

So, that got me thinking, is the lack of inventory because;

1. the boat is new/good enough that people are not willing to let go of them?
2. there is something wrong with this boat, which hopefully a survey would pick up
3. there is something wrong/bad with all 90's era catalina's

The boat i looked at does seem resonably priced and was very clean. I'm just looking for a little more research on the matter

·
Registered
7,864 Posts
I would think there are many Catalina 22's for sale - they produced about 10,000 of them. Where are you looking? Inexpensive boat so they will probably be found on Craigs List, Kiiji, etc. Brokers probably wouldn't bother with a low dollar boat.

·
Registered
598 Posts
My biggest "pet peeve" is that people don't tell us where they are. IDK if you are in San Diego, Kansas. Australia or the UK.

The C22 is maybe the most popular boat on the planet, there are always enough for sale to gauge a reasonable asking price based on location and condition IMHO....

·
Asleep at the wheel
3,016 Posts

·
Asleep at the wheel
3,016 Posts
Here's a more relevant link for SailboatListings:
catalina sailboats for sale by owner.

There's also http://www.sailingtexas.com/cboats2catalinas.html, but as you mentioned, I don't see any 1990's-era boats listed there. As I recall, I think Catalina did some redesigns in the late 1980's and early 1990's. It's possible that those boats are more popular/enjoyable, that's why you don't see as many of them on the market right now. As others suggested, I'd ask this question on the C22 owners' forum.

It looks like you're in the NJ area. Have you seen these?

This one looks like it's in very nice shape (from the pictures):
22' Catalina Sailboat with Trailer

Another option:
1982 Catalina 22 Sailboat

I know these last two links don't answer your original question, but thought they might be of interest. I have no affiliation with any of them, they just came up in my quick search.

·
no longer reading SailNet
2,309 Posts
So, that got me thinking, is the lack of inventory because;

1. the boat is new/good enough that people are not willing to let go of them?
2. there is something wrong with this boat, which hopefully a survey would pick up
3. there is something wrong/bad with all 90's era catalina's
I think you missed the most likely answer. The Catalina 22 has been around since the early 70s. By the late 80s/early 90s there would have been 8000+ of them on the used market, and most people who were shopping for one probably found a used one to buy instead of spending the extra money on a new one. It is the same story today (or you'd be considering a brand new 2014 Catalina 22 -- the boat is still being made).

I don't see lack of inventory as a bad thing. There were only 220 Pearson 28-2s made (that is the boat that I own) between 1985 (when the model came out) and 1989. I'll assume at least 200 of them still exist. There are very few of them on the west coast, I haven't seen one listed on Yachtworld since purchasing my boat a year ago and have only seen one other 28-2 in person. I feel lucky to have found one for sale because it's a great boat for our needs, not worried because I never see other ones.

In some ways the smaller production run was helpful on my boat. Almost everything besides the hull, rudder, and cabinets were standard parts and replacements are still easy to get today. For instance all of the ports are made by Bomar and Beckson and I can easily get replacements today.

Catalina is a good builder to buy from for another reason. They were so large that there is a big support network for them (primarily through Catalina Direct, a 3rd party parts supplier). The boats use a lot of custom parts, but because there are so many of the boats out there you can easily get those parts. Some of them (like swim ladders and rudders) are parts that would have to be custom made for almost any other boat.

Almost every sailboat on the market was made in much smaller numbers than almost every car on the market. When I bought my 1998 Subaru Impreza (in 2009) I looked at 6 cars of the same model, trim package, and year in a single day within 20 or 25 miles of my house. You'll never have that experience with a used sailboat.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think you missed the most likely answer. The Catalina 22 has been around since the early 70s. By the late 80s/early 90s there would have been 8000+ of them on the used market, and most people who were shopping for one probably found a used one to buy instead of spending the extra money on a new one. It is the same story today (or you'd be considering a brand new 2014 Catalina 22 -- the boat is still being made).
Thanks, I hadn't considered a gap in sales after a long run on a successful boat, turning into large used market. Without knowing what Catalina's actual sales numbers were for the 90's its hard to know if this is true, but sounds good to me. And you're right, I would be interested in a new 2014 model if the mid-90's models weren't so well priced and usually in really good condition.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
I saw a year-by-year listing of the number of Catalina 22 sold. In the late 70s and early 80s they were selling 1000-1500 a year. By the year 2000 they're selling more like 50 a year. I think it's what Alex said, there are so many used ones out there that not many new ones are sold.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Here's a graph of the number made:

from this site:
Catalina 22 Sail Numbers

"The following graph is an approximation of the distribution of Catalina 22's manufactured over the years starting in 1969. Although the boat is still in production, demand for new boats has been flat since the 1990."

·
Registered
7,864 Posts
When Frank Butler sold Coronado Yachts to Columbia the molds for a new 22' Coronado were part of the sale, but Columbia didn't want to build a small boat. Frank kept the molds and it became the Catalina 22.

Very successful boat. Catalina is still going strong and Frank Butler is still the owner. Columbia/Coronado didn't do as well.

·
sunfish?junior?
749 Posts
My biggest "pet peeve" is that people don't tell us where they are. IDK if you are in San Diego, Kansas. Australia or the UK.

The C22 is maybe the most popular boat on the planet, there are always enough for sale to gauge a reasonable asking price based on location and condition IMHO....
2nd most the Sunfish is # One
The Catalina-22 NSA. might offer some help?
Good day, Lou

1 - 14 of 14 Posts