SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
30 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a Ranger 28 and are looking for a good ladder for climbing down to our dinghy and for emergency MOB situations. Having a little difficulty in selecting one...interested in hearing what others have devised, purchased or both in the ways of 'swim' or 'boarding' ladders. Pics, mfg info, etc. would be nice.

· Registered
30 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The ladders are nice for getting aboard from a swim, but for dinghy access we use the little (approx. 8"x8") pad suspended by four lines that is in the West Marine catalog. It's very stable and can give you the distance between and rib bladder and the deck to make it an easy step. 'take care and joy, Aythya crew
Thanks for this recommendation! I stopped in at a West Marine store in Madison, WI and looked one over. I thought, 'I can do this for under $10!' Then I went home, got a piece of 1x8 lumber, sanded, drilled holes, stained and spar varnished it, and applied 3M non-skid tape. Grabbed a couple of shackles and some line and headed for the boat. The result? A very stable, strong step. I'll post photos next time I'm at the boat.

The line is one continuous line. It starts with a stop knot in one corner, goes up to a shackle with a bowline, back down to the same ends' forward corner, then under the step and across to the other forward corner, then up to the other shackle and a bowline, and then back to the other rear corner with a stop knot underneath. It's fairly easy to adjust to the boat and your hook-in points, just make sure to tie it so that the lines form more of a right triangle than an isosceles triangle...there should be a definate front and back so that the step lies relatively level and tight against the hull.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.