SailNet Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im getting set up for my first attack on my hull's finish.
Ive read and reread the posts here (especially MaineSail's very useful guide).
As a woodworker, I already own a Porter Cable 7424 dual action sander and I am going to convert it for use for compounding and polishing. This seems to be a highly recommended tool for this purpose at AutoGeeks.
I notice that most of the posts here (including MS) use a wool buff pad for the initial compounding step. Im wondering if a Lake Country orange pad along with a 3M Super Duty Rubbing Compound on my 7424 will be almost as good (thereby avoiding the purchase of a larger polisher) for the first step. Slower maybe, safer probably? Any thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
6,819 Posts
Lake

The Lake Country orange is a good pad though seemingly a little less abrasive than a 3M compound grade wool. I have not had as much luck with a D/A on gelcoat but they work incredibly well on Imron or Awlcraft 2000. Let me know how the D/A and orange Lake Country pad works with 3M Super Duty!

You might want to order a Yellow CCS pad to compare against the orange. I really prefer their CCS line of pads as the dimples seem hold compound and they definitely stay wet longer..

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I used Maine Sail's method for bringing shine to my topsides. I highly recommend printing out his instructions and following them to the letter.

I'd be interested in what he'd say with regard to the dual action sander vs. a rotary tool/sander grinder. I followed his recommendation on tools and was VERY satisfied with the results.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, Ill check out the yellow pads. I thought the orange was the most aggressive but I see I missed one. I also noticed that Lake County sells wool pads and Ill see if I can get one of those to fit the DA. Thanks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts