SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Lake Tahoe

5K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  flyingriki 
#1 · (Edited)
Thinking about relocating to Lake Tahoe. Looks like there are many power boats but I hear they tend to vanish as wind picks up in the afternoon. I'd love to hear from sailors who live in the area about sailing conditions, facilities, saison duration.... Would probably get a small 20-25 cruiser.

Thanks.

#2 ·
I'm not familiar with Lake Tahoe at all, but I have been based everywhere from a large lake to a large river to the open water.

I would say that if you have open water in your blood, the other two are quickly mind numbing. No offense to those based there, sailing is sailing. It's all good. I just find the options for variety to be so relatively limiting.

I'm only mentioning this, as you say you are considering moving.

#4 ·
Your call, but I've sailed the Chessy. Not remotely comparable to a 20 mile long lake. The Chessy has an immeasurable number of anchorages and many, many ports. You can take a two vacation just circumnavigating it's shores. You'll know every single nook and cranny of a 20 mile lake pretty quickly. The only bummer to the Chessy, IMO, is the humidity and wind (none or too much) in the summer. Nice shoulder seasons.

Not trying to be buzz kill. If you dig it, go for it. I'm guessing the sailing isn't the reason you're considering relocating, just adding something to consider.

#8 ·
It's spent two years there around 911 skiing mostly and spent summers on the lake. The wind does pick up in the afternoon that's about the only time you have wind you also have whitecaps. Water is cold very cold all year. I believe there are three or four sailboats on the lake. Mostly old woodys and powerboats. The shorelines are very shallow and are lined with Boulders. I can think of quite a few places that would be better for sailing, now for skiing or snowboarding kayaking and flyfishing and being close to Napa well that's a different story.

#11 ·
there are plenty of larger sailboats ( 30' /35')in the lake. most on the south end. not sure where they haul. I have sailed there on the Prindle both for fun and in a race regatta end of June in the 80's. Race was at Sand point in the north east end, and race marks were placed close to shore because the center of the lake is to deep for marks. when sailing close to shore you need to watch out for the bigger grains of sand. wind went from zero to 25 kts. in about ten minutes. water was cold, really cold as I remember and wind made it feel like the arctic. thick wet suit was not enough.

Reactions: Zoya
#12 ·
Ok Ill chime in. I have a Catalina 22 that I sail on Tahoe. Tahoe is a bit of a challenge for a variety of reasons but it is a beautiful place to sail. There are many sailboats on the lake.

Sailing is primarily an afternoon sport and there are beer can races that take place on Wednesday. Im not sure as I do not race. As someone has mentioned the water is always very cold and only swimmable by the most determined other than late in the season and in shallow water. The water is stunningly clear. It is a beautiful lake but even in the summer it is chilly in the evening.

I was not able to get my boat on the lake even once last year. Most of the ramps on my side of the lake were closed due to low water. To be fair I was out of town much of the season as well. Also many of the buoy fields were closed as well. I am hopeful the water will be much higher this year since we are currently having flooding problems. I was very lucky 2 years ago to find a private dock in the Tahoe Keys for $1500 but again I could not get my boat in the water until late in the season due to dredging. Expect to pay $3000-$6000 if you intend to keep your boat on the lake.

Do not despair. It is a beautiful lake to be on. You can sail into Emerald Bay and anchor for the night and enjoy the beach. I would love to have a larger boat on the lake but for me I just can't justify the cost of getting a boat here, storing it in the winter, and paying for moorage in the summer. For my money I will be keeping my next boat in San Francisco. I know I am rambling so fire away if you have any specific questions.

#18 ·
I love the Tahoe area. If I could afford to, I would live there. The lake is pretty, but not my idea of great sailing - too cold. On the other hand, opportunities for summer activities such as hiking, climbing, mountain biking, and whitewater, are very good and quite abundant within short driving distances. Backcountry skiing in the winter is OK, but not great. Backcountry skiing in the spring is fantastic, if you like creamy corn for weeks and months.

#19 ·
Am I correct in thinking that Tahoe is essentially a tourist town? Being a local in a tourist town can be a very different feeling. Sometimes it's nice to be an insider and frequent insider establishments, off the beaten tourist track. I know a few who do live in tourist places and they absolutely hate the tourists. (Despite the fact that the place and their job wouldn't exist without them)

#20 ·
Kind of an old thread but will comment anyways.

We live on the north side of Tahoe. I've dingy sailed and we had our O'day25 here for about 5 years before selling and moving up to a valiant we keep in the SF bay.

Tahoe is an awesome place to sail! Wind almost every afternoon and sometimes lots! Can get a bit swelly but that just made it exciting for us. Since the wind dies most nights its very easy to anchor pretty much anywhere in the sandy bottom. Most summers we'd get in at least one week or 10 day cruise. There are a couple of very sheltered places we'd anchor close to hiking. Even in the drought with lake levels low there are two places that still allow access, or you can have your boat hoisted for a couple hundred bucks. The water is cold but crystal clear and great for cooling off on hot summer days.

On the flip side if you want to keep your boat in the water you have to rent a bouy from a lake front property owner or rent a slip if your on the south side. Can be spendy...$3K or more for the season. unless you know someone. Only a couple of marinas and they've been condoized with slips selling for unbelievably high prices (wish I had bought one 20 years ago). Also you don't leave boats in the winter. Too stormy and too much snow. Besides..its time for skiing anyways! btw, most springs we could ski in the morning and see our boat from Squaw Valley and then sail in the afternoon and see where we'd been skiing!

Somebody said its touristy. yes, true, but when you live here its pretty dead in the off season so kind of fun to have the tourists come in. About the time it gets tiring school resumes and they all go away.

anyway, great place to live if your into the mountains and what they have to offer. and fun place to sail.

#21 ·
Lived there several years. Had a Catalina 22 for a couple seasons. Fun to sail up to Emerald Bay for overnight camping. Need a ride to shore though. Much longer trip up to Sunnyside. Tried to sail to Tahoe City once and got blown out, turned around and came home.
Have gone out of South Shore, the Keys, and left the sails set, just steering to keep the sails full. Within an hour had made a complete circle....
Conditions change a lot and get get lousy quickly. Better suited to bigger boats but doable with a little one. Just be careful. Need to pull boat out in winter unless docked near something bigger with bubblers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.