SailNet Community banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello-

Has anyone been into Lake Tashmoo this season (2021)? It seems I need 2 hours either side of low tide (6-foot draft). I'm just wondering if there have been any changes or shoaling in the channel. Thanks in advance...

·
Aspiring Boat Bum
416 Posts
I have a mooring in Tashmoo and have been in and out a couple of times this year (5 1/2' draft). First time it was pretty dodgy but it's now a little better. They dredged the channel but last fall so nor'easters all winter just silted it up again. I posted details on how to negotiate the entrance on the Waterway Guide. However there's a local guy with a big barge that just brought it in a couple of weeks ago that knocked the top off of most of the bumps and hills in the channel so a couple of shoals are smoothed out but still the post on WW Guide is applicable. With 6' I would try to enter a couple of hours after low on a flood just in case. The good news, it's all soft silt and mud so you won't break anything if you hit and will probably plow on through if it isn't too low.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I have a mooring in Tashmoo and have been in and out a couple of times this year (5 1/2' draft). First time it was pretty dodgy but it's now a little better. They dredged the channel but last fall so nor'easters all winter just silted it up again. I posted details on how to negotiate the entrance on the Waterway Guide. However there's a local guy with a big barge that just brought it in a couple of weeks ago that knocked the top off of most of the bumps and hills in the channel so a couple of shoals are smoothed out but still the post on WW Guide is applicable. With 6' I would try to enter a couple of hours after low on a flood just in case. The good news, it's all soft silt and mud so you won't break anything if you hit and will probably plow on through if it isn't too low.
I was always fearful of Tashmoo with a 6'3" draft.

·
Registered
24,512 Posts
Crazy tight, small spot. I‘ve never been inside. I’m remembering an old member here, Jon Eisberg (departed now), that rode out a hurricane on anchor in there. Seemed nuts to me, but worked out.

·
Registered
4,822 Posts
Actually, it isn't as tight inside as it seems and has considerable space. At least it wasn't through the 90's and 2000's when we would regularly visit it - even in a catamaran. If full of moorings now or severely silted in, it might be tight for anchoring. While it has great wind protection, the bottom is very loose mud, so dragging could be an issue. Even with normal calm anchoring, the anchor seemed to sink down forever and come up as a big ball of muck with 6" cylinder of muck around the chain.

Tashmoo is a quiet gem in a working class neighborhood - a complete different experience from the rest of that cruising area. At least it used to be.

Mark

·
ASA and PSIA Instructor
4,298 Posts
I've cruised MV on and off for fifty years, but haven't entered Lake Tashmoo since running hard aground inside, in the channel, during our first cruise to the Island. I ended up kedging off, and having to leave the anchor behind, tied to a cushion. Fortunately a couple of kids in a Whaler recovered it for us. My advice for anyone sailing a vessel with any draft, is to learn to enjoy the the Lagoon Pond, a wonderful protected anchorage which has all the charm of Lake Tashmoo without the liabilities, plus is only a short dingy ride to breakfast at the Black Dog.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the advice, I agree, I've been inside several times but it sounds like its even tighter with the additional moorings. I try Lagoon Pond this week...

·
ASA and PSIA Instructor
4,298 Posts
Thanks for the advice, I agree, I've been inside several times but it sounds like its even tighter with the additional moorings. I try Lagoon Pond this week...
See Vineyard Haven, Lake Tashmoo, Lagoon Pond for this:
"Lagoon Pond Bridge: Call the bridge tender on VHF 16 and 69
May 15-September 15 the bridge opens during the following periods. During other times of the year the bridge will open by making an appointment 24 hours prior. The bridge tender will try to group waiting boats together to minimize the number of openings. Except during periods of slack tide there is a strong current under the bridge that can slew your boat to one side or the other, so be prepared and stay in the middle of the channel. Boats traveling with the current have the right of way. The bridge tender can advise on the state of the tide and current under the bridge. In 2019 the channel had at least six feet of water at low tide.
8:15-8:45am
10:15-11am
3:15-4pm
5-5:45pm
7:30-8pm "

Inside I usually just anchor in the open area immediately to port, there will probably be a dozen or so boats there already. If you want to get away from the hustle and bustle, you can find good anchoring about a mile south down the Pond where civilization pretty much disappears.

·
Registered
4,822 Posts
I've cruised MV on and off for fifty years, but haven't entered Lake Tashmoo since running hard aground inside, in the channel, during our first cruise to the Island.
Hehe. I was hedging my response based on not having been there for 13yrs, but you were very sure about yours after not having been there for 50yrs!

Mark

·
Aspiring Boat Bum
416 Posts
Crowding is a problem in Tashmoo. Not bad during an average week but weekends and holidays it can be jammed. They have filled much of the harbor with moorings and closed a some of the rest to anchoring to protect the eel grass. Entering the harbor there's a small sign on the first channel marker pole that shows the areas where you are allowed to anchor.
Also once you get in past the jetty's it's deep water as long as you stay away from a couple of shoals that are pretty well marked on most charts and very visible on a satellite view.

Here's a link to the anchoring chart that also shows the shoals. https://www.tisburyma.gov/sites/g/files/vyhlif1321/f/uploads/tashmoo_2020_rev6-05-20.pdf

I've moored in Lagoon Pond in the past, never more. The cormorants have taken over and you will pay the price.

·
ASA and PSIA Instructor
4,298 Posts
I've moored in Lagoon Pond in the past, never more. The cormorants have taken over and you will pay the price.
Sadly cormorants are a problem in many Cape harbors, fortunately the solution is a simple set of "bird wires" strung between the speader tips and the mast.

·
Registered
4,822 Posts
Wow, that has really changed. We used to anchor all over in the spots that now show banks of moorings. In fact, we have never anchored in the spots now designated for it.

Mark

·
Aspiring Boat Bum
416 Posts
Sadly cormorants are a problem in many Cape harbors, fortunately the solution is a simple set of "bird wires" strung between the speader tips and the mast.
Well in theory but on my boat they were roosting on the deck, the bimini, lifelines, boom and even in the cockpit, not at all on the spreaders. Once the cormorants discovered my boat I could not make them leave. I strung 300 yards of monofilament all over the boat. Bow to stern from shrouds to stays I made a netting of monofilament lines spaced inches apart, including all the way down to the toerails, woven around the lifelines, over the boom. There was not an opening larger than 6" diameter anywhere. No help at all. I guess they just forced there way through the line.

Then bought three dozen mouse traps and set them in all the favorite spots. That would slightly slow them down for a day or two until the traps were all snapped and the cormorants moved back in.

I seriously considered buying a pellet rifle and laying for them but decided a pile of dead cormorants floating around my boat might draw some negative attention.

·
Aspiring Boat Bum
416 Posts
Wow, that has really changed. We used to anchor all over in the spots that now show banks of moorings. In fact, we have never anchored in the spots now designated for it.

Mark
Just in the five years I've been on the Vineyard I've seen a dramatic reduction in anchoring room in Tashmoo. For short term (if the birds don't find you and you can deal with the bridge schedule) Lagoon Pond is nice. In settled weather you can anchor in the main harbor but as you know, totally open to the north and the ferry wakes can be an issue.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts