SailNet Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Captain John
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am close to Lake Erie , i have a group of Hobie cat guys i sail with that need a beach or somewhat of a beach to launch and to come back to. I need a launch ramp for my catamaran, but it seems so hard to find a location that allows camping near your boat with a beach and a launch ramp. Also a place to rig boats away from Power lines. Would any of you know of any places like this? I would love to find a cabin with a dock and a beach, but camping is cheaper.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
I do not know Lake Erie but finding a place to launch that has a ramp and allows camping will be tough. You may try local windsurfing clubs. It costs some money to join them but they often have nice beach access you can launch from. In many places state water regs will not let you use a vehicle to launch from a beach (they tear up the banks) but you can lay a portable ramp (rail ramp) to launch a light craft. If you are a member of the club they might allow you to even leave the cat there.
It might be easier to launch from one location and camp somewhere else. Places allowing overnight camping are getting harder to find everywhere.
Best of luck!

·
One of None
8,045 Posts
Depending how much you can afford to travel with the Hobie in tow. You could join the Maine Island trail assoc. it's cheap and affords members camping on the Maine coast. It's not just kayaks that use it.

NY's Adirondacks The lakes, many have primitive camping and it's always been free. Of course your not going to portage a a cat, but some of the larger lakes have camping on islands. Lake George and Champlain, Saranac Lakes have DIY locks :) there are 2500 lakes and streams in the Adirondacks.

Lake Superior has the Apostle Islands.

Lake Erie looks like you have some Ohio state parks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts