SailNet Community banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
I use 220 on a palm sander for the first pass when it looks like yours. Use it to get all the bumps, hills, and valleys out. You might find you need to apply a second round of gelcoat if the valleys are deeper than you think. You don't even need a palm sander for that small an area - a sanding block will be quick and easy on that.

When it is close to smooth, then get it smooth but still slightly proud of the surface with 400 on a sanding block. Wet or dry doesn't matter, although wet keeps the paper from clogging.

Then 800 on a block to take it fair to the surface, at which point it will be very smooth but not shiny. I always do this wet.

The last step is to either use 1200-1500-2000-(3000) wet to make it shiny, or use an aggressive cutting compound on a polisher to do this.

Since you are planning to redo the side later, you could probably stop at 800 and leave it dull looking. Maybe hit it a bit with some 1200 wet to smooth it more, but you will be sanding the side later anyhow.

Mark

·
Registered
S2 7.9 Bear Lake, UT
2,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
The last step is to either use 1200-1500-2000-(3000) wet to make it shiny, or use an aggressive cutting compound on a polisher to do this.

Mark
If I have a polisher, can I stop at 800 and they use a cutting compound to polish or do I need to work up to a specific grade then polish to shiny?

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
That's correct. Stop at 800 and then use a cutting compound like 3M heavy duty on your polisher to take it to shiny. To take it to insane shiny, use a polishing compound like 3M Finesse It on your polisher after the cutting compound.

After 800, just think of it as a badly oxidized hull gelcoat needing to be brought back to shine.

Mark

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
It helps in sanding to use an indicator color. A quick thin squirt of paint from a spray can slightly overlapped outside of the repair would work for this. Sand until you don't see any more paint, and the repair will then be flat and flush with the hull. Will need to do a couple of times as you go through the grits.

Mark

21 - 24 of 24 Posts