SailNet Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello out there,
I've been in the market for a older sail boat and come across a Lancer 30-2 that appears to be in fair overall condition. It has a recent rebuild on the Yanmar diesel, new head, pedestal steering with auto helm. I'm having a survey done, of course. I could not find any soft spots or blisters, (had diver check) but will take a closer look when its hauled. I'm sure it needs bottom paint at least.
I offered $7,500 if everything checks out and it needs nothing other than polishing and minor superficial attention.
Did I go a bit high on this or???? I don't know Lancers very well and looking for some advice.
Thank you,

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Hey,

It's real difficult / impossible to make any judgement without seeing the boat or at least an ad with pictures. Lancers don't have the greatest reputation, but that really doesn't mean too much.

Assuming the boat is in OK condition, you CAN'T go wrong with a 30' boat for $7500!

Barry

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Barry,
Thank you for responding. I understand its hard to determine a value without additional pictures, etc... However, Ive had trouble finding much information on Lancers, good, bad, or otherwise. I've heard they don't have a good rep. but not sure why? slow? poorly constructed? Some of the old salts at the marina say the criticism is BS.
This one appears to be in decent shape. I'm fairly new to sailing, had power boats for many years but love sailing and want to enter back in at an affordable level.
I have a survey scheduled so will see what the guy says.
Thank you again,
EJS

·
Registered
621 Posts
Own a Lancer 30' Mk V 1985. Lancer earned their dubious reputation by constructing some not so good smaller boats and their motor sailors.
Few points from my experience, boat leaked mostly from ports, backing plates not as robust as should be, some minor hairline gelcoat cracking.
On the other hand was built with Lewmar winches,
Isomat spars, Schaefer hardware, Edson wheel, Yanmar diesel,
etc. etc. after 28 years never a blister.
Surveyor was impressed, few years ago for insurance survey, as he to had heard the stories.
Boat is coastal not a passagemaker.
Boat handled 40 plus knots just fine.
Boat (with fractional rig) not slow boat.
I understand that my boat was changed considerably from earlier 30fters(fractional rig, encapsulated keel, open layout forward, head port side next to companionway).
$ ok considering a good survey, with a proper
recent rebuild on Yanmar and a new head.
Any additional questions will try to help.
Hugo

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you Hugo!
Good information. It will be interesting to see what the survey reveals. I think the boat is only in fair overall condition. Of course its an old boat so I expect it to have some issues. There are some small cracks on the deck gel coat. Don't appear to be soft spots. A coastal sail boat is good for me, I'm not very experienced.
The windows are crazed and it needs cleaning. But if its structurally sound and doesn't require much, I'll probably go for it.
Thanks again for the response.
EJS

1 - 5 of 5 Posts