SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Master Mariner
8,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am at a complete loss and I am hoping someone has some ideas to help me find land transportation. I do understand that this is a sailing site, but perhaps crowdsourcing will help.
In the past, I have been able to do a 'mini-lease' with car dealers and get a vehicle for about $10.00 a day.
Recently, I have done numerous internet searches and found plenty of new car leases, but it seems there is nobody who does short term leases these days. The rental car companies' minimum prices are around a grand a month and we need 3 months. We do have insurance arranged, so that isn't a problem.
Does anyone have any suggestions? We need to travel 80 miles or so a couple of times a week plus shopping, etc, so Uber, et al. won't do it.
Thanks in advance.

·
Administrator
7,167 Posts
We need to travel 80 miles or so a couple of times a week plus shopping, etc,
Buy 2 bicycles and get the lard out!!!!!!!!

What you are looking for is to buy out the remaining months of an auto lease agreement.
I am in France so many American websites are blocked here because of EU rules.

What you are looking for are website that show the vehicle, time left to expiry, number of miles left usable (or you have to pay per mile), and location.

You then buy the remnant bit of lease, drive the car for they time, then dump it at the lease owners office on expiry.
You NEED great insurance because if you bingle the thing you are down the shoot in a big way. Also you MUST MUST MUST be aware of any legal parameters. If looks honest, but it also look open to spivs and conmen. Many of the cars were too new for me... I dont need a 2 year old car, a 10 year old is fine or a 20 year old junker is better. (you could see if theres an Auto Auction nearby and buy a junker?)

I was going to do it when I was in the USA for 6 months in 2015, but I bought a bicycle and rode from Omaha, Nebraska to Memphis Tennessee, exactly 1,000 miles (non-nautical) :)

If I can find a link I will post. But someoneone here will know. :)

·
Administrator
7,167 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Depends on how long you are there. If your alternative is renting at 1K/month for say 6 months, you may be better served buying and selling when you're done.

Places like CarMax would make that pretty easy. Your costs (beyond regular operation) would be tax, registration, and depreciation. Might be worth running the numbers.

·
Master Mariner
8,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Heres what I was thinking of https://www.leasetrader.com/
Put in the advanced search box the Zip Code and short number of months remaining and after searching, sort by Time Remaining.

Heres an example: Remaining lease 4 months at @500 per month; available miles 4,000 per month(!)
https://www.leasetrader.com/2017_Lincoln_MKC_2.0L_EcoBoost_306019.xhtml

But that car sure aint no junker!

Mark
Hey, thanks. It seems we may have to go a bit far afield, but maybe this will do.

·
1968 Columbia 50
433 Posts
Since your post is a little vague as to where and vehicle capacity, I think the options posted might be your best ones, with the exception of the bicycle, sorry Mark.

I did find this as well https://www.autorentals.com.

Personally I would try and buy a cheap car, and then sell it when done with it. My mechanic B-I-L has done this before, selling a car to some travelling German visitors to the states, who then sold it back to him for what they paid for it. They drove literally around the US for 3 months, putting on 15,000 miles, but kept the car up. It worked out great for the Germans, and OK for my B-I-L, as he really did not need the money anyways..

·
Master Mariner
8,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Since your post is a little vague as to where and vehicle capacity, I think the options posted might be your best ones, with the exception of the bicycle, sorry Mark.

I did find this as well https://www.autorentals.com.

Personally I would try and buy a cheap car, and then sell it when done with it. My mechanic B-I-L has done this before, selling a car to some travelling German visitors to the states, who then sold it back to him for what they paid for it. They drove literally around the US for 3 months, putting on 15,000 miles, but kept the car up. It worked out great for the Germans, and OK for my B-I-L, as he really did not need the money anyways..
When I first got here I called dozens of new and used car dealers and no one was interested in a short time lease or buying back a car sort of deal. I'm not much interested in having a valuable car I must sell before I leave and I don't want to drive junk.
Your link is still $30.00 a day; just too much. I wasn't too hopeful, but I thought I'd try a post. Thanks all for your input.

And Mark, the Greyhound idea, well I can't repeat my thoughts on an open forum, but keep racking that brain of yours. lol

·
Registered
7,060 Posts
When I was a kid would return one way rental cars. Would also do deliveries to Florida of private cars. Pick a city and get paid to drive there. Don’t know if that still goes on.

·
Master Mariner
8,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
When I was a kid would return one way rental cars. Would also do deliveries to Florida of private cars. Pick a city and get paid to drive there. Don’t know if that still goes on.
Yeah, I've half dozen or so transcontinental driveaways. Don't see how that would help me in this situation.

·
Administrator
7,167 Posts
When you were a kid was a loooooong time ago.

You now pay for the privilege of doing a return one way rental.

I think they wanted $600 from me to drive La to NYC and they only gave 2 weeks to do the trip.

·
Registered
S2 7.9 Bear Lake, UT
2,316 Posts
Greyhound busses are great :)

Cheap and stop in the middle of town. Although I jumped off one in Baltimore a few years ago... ummmm... that was a tad sketchy!

LOL
It has been decades since I have ridden a Greyhound if your experience was pleasant, that was not normal.
Getting off the bus in the sketchiest part of town is the norm. I won't even go into the details of what the passengers can be like in the worst-case scenario.

·
Registered
S2 7.9 Bear Lake, UT
2,316 Posts
I will second Turo. Have a couple customers that list their cars on it.
I have looked at Turo only once or twice seemed more expensive than just renting. It might be different with a many month rental. It felt like people just posted their cars and if someone was going to pay $150/day they could ride their bike for a week.

·
Administrator
7,167 Posts
It has been decades since I have ridden a Greyhound if your experience was pleasant, that was not normal.
Getting off the bus in the sketchiest part of town is the norm. I won't even go into the details of what the passengers can be like in the worst-case scenario.

A broad Australian accent works very well in the USA :)

Its funny, but in most countries tourists are targeted. But in the USA people are more likely to help :)

Mark

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
If you need the car every day then rental would be spendy... but there are inexpensive rentals... Near me you can rent for $23/day. Most will bring the car to you! How far and hot often do you need a car?

There are things like Zipcar as well... join and have a car when you need it... don't know the cost / use.

You might pick up an cheap old car from a site like CraigsList.

This got me thinking....

Wouldn't it be a great idea if yacht clubs would provide a courtesy car for cruising sailors's use for hauling stuff? We now use uber when we need to do grocery shopping as the store is always too far to carry lots of groceries. Buses only work if the bus stop is convenient to the dinghy landing/dock or launch and often they are not.

What about offering a launch driver $$ for use of their car while they work?

·
Master Mariner
8,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If you need the car every day then rental would be spendy... but there are inexpensive rentals... Near me you can rent for $23/day. Most will bring the car to you! How far and hot often do you need a car?

There are things like Zipcar as well... join and have a car when you need it... don't know the cost / use.

You might pick up an cheap old car from a site like CraigsList.

This got me thinking....

Wouldn't it be a great idea if yacht clubs would provide a courtesy car for cruising sailors's use for hauling stuff? We now use uber when we need to do grocery shopping as the store is always too far to carry lots of groceries. Buses only work if the bus stop is convenient to the dinghy landing/dock or launch and often they are not.

What about offering a launch driver $$ for use of their car while they work?
I'm surprised that some member wouldn't make a vehicle available to visitors in a club environment, especially as some marinas I've visited offer a free car or shuttle to cruisers who pass through.
We considered buying a cheap car, but doing 80 miles of freeway driving a day up to 5 days a week, it seemed a fool's errand.
"There are things like Zipcar as well... join and have a car when you need it... don't know the cost / use." I haven't looked into those yet, but with as much driving as we do, and as many of these trips are to appointments, again, reliability of the vehicle is of concern.
But, thanks for these ideas and don't give up as someone may find a solution that we can all use when visiting the States.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts