SailNet Community banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
S2 7.9 Bear Lake, UT
2,316 Posts
A broad Australian accent works very well in the USA :)

Its funny, but in most countries tourists are targeted. But in the USA people are more likely to help :)

Mark
I'll have to work on my accent.:wink

I guess its time to relate my Greyhound experiences.

One time I was leaving school in Vermont traveling with all my stuff, skis, etc. Arriving in Boston I asked in the Greyhound station where a cheap hotel was and proceeded to waddle out the door with probably 100 lbs of luggage to walk 2 blocks.

A kind older "gentleman" offered to help me carry my stuff, then invited me out to "party" afterward. I appreciated the help with my luggage but declined on the sexual predator hanging out at the bus depot part.

Another time I took Greyhound after coming off the John Muir Trail early with an inflamed Knee. I hitchhiked to Fresno and was at the Greyhound bus station, which was filled with migrant workers on their way back to Mexico at the end of picking season. The woman at the booth was having trouble explaining something to one of the passengers, she asked out loud "Does anyone speak English?" After a while someone spoke up "I do" Turns out he only spoke English and not Spanish. So I volunteered to translate for the Greyhound employeer. Afterwards I went and spoke with my fellow English Speaker. He had just gotten out of prison the other day and was skipping parole by leaving the state, had gotten too drunk on the bus the day before and was kicked off the bus, so was waiting for the bus the next day to take him out of the state.

As he was suffering from a hangover I gave him something from my first aid kit, (can't remember what) he went into the bathroom to take it. A while later two police officers show up to confront him and I was implicated in the whole affair.

Public transportation sucks in the U.S. Greyhound is not fast nor comfortable but at least you might end up with a story to tell.

Good luck Capta.

·
Master Mariner
8,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #23

·
Master Mariner
8,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
It would need a new catalytic converter and muffler.
OK, so now the $100.00 car is around $500.00 and we haven't registered it yet, let alone done tires, wheel bearings, alignment, oil change, or insurance yet.
Thanks, but that's also a road I'd rather not take.
However, if you could get it to Carriacou, I'd snap it up in a heartbeat for twice that price and nobody would care about a cat. converter or muffler. And since I'd most likely never get up to even 25 mph, none of that other work either. I'd even let you use it and pay for your gas when you were on-island! Sound good? lol

·
Registered
157 Posts
Tires are good. Wheel bearings are good. New clutch, timing belt, water pump, a/c belt (yes, blows cold), alt belt, p/s belt.

It was my daily driver for a couple years. I dont need or want it anymore.

First $50 takes it.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts