SailNet Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a retired professional whose been sailing small boats on an inland lake since 1987. I've owned a 1977 17' Boston Whaler Harpoon 5.2 since 1990. Other than vacations, I've never sailed in open waters. I took a cruising class and earned a certificate with the Colgate Offshore sailing school several years ago off Captiva, Fla. with the idea of sailing the Caribbean on a self-captained rental. I've never pulled the trigger though and realize if not now, when. My impression of sailing big boats is that they are much easier than l'il boats and much more forgiving until you do something really unwise. 'Heaving to' works better on a 37' Beneteau than a 17 footer. Sailed in squalls off St Maarten and was more comfortable topside than below. I know what a pintle and gudgeon are. Have studied heavy weather sailing and undocking from a crowded marina, but haven't done it in the flesh (fiberglass?). I'm fit, except for the busted knuckle I got saving myself from a full frontal face palm with the cement dock in early Sept...lol... 2 months in it still hurts, but not much. Want to crew, share an off shore sail. My schedule is open, even after seeing 'All Is Lost.' I kept agreeing or second guessing Redfords decisions for each crisis. Are there any sailing movies that don't end in disasters? But that is another discussion. Don't smoke, but enjoy the occasional cigar and single malt, glass of wine and pipe. Don't do drugs, but did some in the 70's. Travelled the world overland (ok only 1/2) in the mid 70's and always found myself down at the coasts looking at boats thinking that THAT! is the way to travel. Was away 2 yrs on a budget of $4k. I'm careful and diligent and tend to over think everything. I'm so stress free I need an ocean crossing to get back some anxiety. I believe in the occasional grog. Sailing the Caribbean would work. I know it sounds weird, but sometimes I envision myself as a withered old sailor wasting away in the Caribbean sun on my own boat with a smile on my face. Wow, that took a lot out of me, think I'll go for a nap......:cool: Cheers, Julian

1 - 6 of 6 Posts