SailNet Community banner

Thoughts about Laptop-based Chart Plotters:

• Pay for PC Software (Recommendations please!)

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Download it free

Votes: 7 53.8%
  • PC Chart Plotters are rubbish

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Uuurgh, don't know why I'm on this thread.

Votes: 2 15.4%
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello sailors. I'm considering going for PC-based chart plotter software for cruising, albeit with paper back-up. I note the choice of freeware vs purchase (up to 100GBP) mentioned in much older posts. Can anyone offer me some personal experiences of either? Grateful for all related views!!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Free PC based chart plotter is super for US coastal navigation, charts are freely available. Only drawback to a laptop is that the screen washes out in the sun light so it's best use is below decks.
I'll second OpenCPN, it is however undergoing rapid development at this time. A new build is being released every week or so. Great changes and bug fixes are happening. It does both raster and vector charts which I find useful.
Other choices would be Seaclear II or NavGator. Both have features I like and ones I don't.

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
I use Maxsea. Can't think of anything I don't like about it.

Mine runs on world-wide C-Maps charts and has great world wide tidal info plus a lot of other features.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I use Maxsea. Can't think of anything I don't like about it.
Maxsea is great, the only drawback is that they dropped support for the Mac with os X.

For the Mac I recommend GPSNavX (for raster format BSB and Softcharts) and MacENC (for S-57/S-63 vector format ENC charts, Navionics Charts from X-Traverse and BSB and Softchart raster format charts) and iNavX (for iPhone & iPod).

Prices and Comparisons of the three.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts