SailNet Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Pearson 28-2
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question… and probably already asked but my search didn’t find it.
Yanmar has an oil filter, part number 119005-35100, that I think is just a larger capacity version of the 119305-35150 used on the 2GM.

I know the smaller one is right and proper. But I figure aside from a little extra filtering ability, one gets a little extra oil capacity. I change my oil annually but I also find myself motoring a bit. More oil and more filtering on a mid-life hour’d engine can’t hurt.

is this a compatible filter or is there some gotcha I need to know?

·
Registered
5,275 Posts
The PO of my boat used a Fram PH3593A filter on the 3GM30. I have used both Yanmar as well as Fram and Purolater filters with no problems. The Fram and Purolater filters are a bit larger than the Yanmar ones, but don't think they add more than an ounce or two to the oil capacity.

·
Registered
5,203 Posts
Larger capacity is always better. Space can be a constraint. As long as the filter thread size is the same (almost all are), and the seal diameter and type fits the mounting boss (there are only a couple of sizes), then the can/media size doesn't matter, and larger is better.

Mark

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
You might want to check WIX brand filters. They provide specs on their filters and cross over to Yanmar. That Yanmar part number crosses to 51344. Part Details

Reactions: Paul_H

·
Registered
236 Posts
You might want to check WIX brand filters. They provide specs on their filters and cross over to Yanmar. That Yanmar part number crosses to 51344. Part Details
This is what I have used most recently, and I appreciate the larger size.
But the gasket is not attached as securely as on the Yanmar filters, so make sure it's not left behind stuck to the housing.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Hi Bird Dog
RE:
More oil and more filtering on a mid-life hour’d engine can’t hurt.
is this a compatible filter or is there some gotcha I need to know?

More oil is good but CLEAN oil is the best.

With a larger filter you will have the same amount of oil moving through the filter and end up with the same level of filtration.
This is the amount that the oil pump can circulate.
A larger filter casing will be filled with filtering material, so there will be almost no extra capacity for oil.
In the end you will have the same amount of oil filtered to the same level.

The key to good oil maintenance is regular oil and filter changes.
Engines run better and live longer with fresh clean oil.

gary

1 - 6 of 6 Posts