SailNet Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
I don't discuss my member
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm interested in learning the propper way to lash something that doesn't look like a bunch of knots on top of each other. I've heard of people using 4 loops and a reef knot, others use a bunch of loops with opposing wraps and finishes with half hitches. What other options are there? I tried searching online and it gave me cub-scout stuff on how to make crosses, tee-pees, and fences.

Looking at the harken catalog, they have a lot of really cool (pretty) lashings, but I can't find instructions on how to make them. Thanks.

·
Owner, Green Bay Packers
1,000 Posts
The Ashley Book of Knots will show you how to secure just about anything from a pack mule's load to a mainsail. It's about 100 years old and back in print after a thirty year hiatus and it's, well, comprehensive to say the least.

For a more specific answer to your question here it might be helpful if we knew what you were trying to secure; a hammock, a bottle of fine Madeira, a dinghy on deck, or a sail. (g)

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Sway—

The book he wants is really this one: BOOK

:D :laugher :laugher :laugher

The Ashley Book of Knots will show you how to secure just about anything from a pack mule's load to a mainsail. It's about 100 years old and back in print after a thirty year hiatus and it's, well, comprehensive to say the least.

For a more specific answer to your question here it might be helpful if we knew what you were trying to secure; a hammock, a bottle of fine Madeira, a dinghy on deck, or a sail. (g)

·
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
WOW! Good find Dog! Just added it to my xmas wish list. :)

As for a more detailed description, I'm looking to make a loop onto the clews of my spinnaker, as my current shackles are a little small and lashing is cheaper than buying larger shackles. Mostly will be lashing blocks to toe rails and other assorted objects big and small. I'll probably add the Ashley book to the wish list as well unless there's an on line site with illustrated instructions.

·
Owner, Green Bay Packers
1,000 Posts
WOW! Good find Dog! Just added it to my xmas wish list. :)

As for a more detailed description, I'm looking to make a loop onto the clews of my spinnaker, as my current shackles are a little small and lashing is cheaper than buying larger shackles. Mostly will be lashing blocks to toe rails and other assorted objects big and small. I'll probably add the Ashley book to the wish list as well unless there's an on line site with illustrated instructions.
By "loop" do you mean a "bight" or perhaps a "grommet"? See, you do need Ashley! We don't do loops at sea. :D :D :D

·
Owner, Green Bay Packers
1,000 Posts
If I'm reading you right you can make a loop, actually a grommet, by unlaying one strand, from a three stand line, to a length three times the circumference desired in the grommet, and then lay the strand back on itself into a grommet. It will be complicated by the fact that I presume you'll be laying it up within the clew grommet of the spinnaker but it's quite easily done. Use sail twine and a sail needle to whip and secure the two ends of the strand on the completed grommet.

·
Owner, Green Bay Packers
1,000 Posts
If you just desire a bight of line to secure to, you might pass the bight of a line through the clew grommet and tie a figure eight knot in each end to secure it on the backside of the clew grommet from the bight where your shackles will attach.

·
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If I'm reading you right you can make a loop, actually a grommet, by unlaying one strand, from a three stand line, to a length three times the circumference desired in the grommet, and then lay the strand back on itself into a grommet. It will be complicated by the fact that I presume you'll be laying it up within the clew grommet of the spinnaker but it's quite easily done. Use sail twine and a sail needle to whip and secure the two ends of the strand on the completed grommet.
Wouldn't the whipping then support the load overall? How do you whip to ropes together? Seizing? I've only done the ends of lines to keep them from unraveling. I've seen other lashing that looks like they took 4 loops and then added wraps around the lashing to hold them together. How do they do that? Almost looks like a very small line coiled up.

·
Owner, Green Bay Packers
1,000 Posts
A whipping around the point where the strands of the grommet meet will only serve to hold the ends of the strands together, the grommet will take the strain. It will not be as strong as if you'd spliced the two ends of a short piece of line together to make a grommet but, it will be much neater and fair. If you can run a bight through the clew grommet as I mentioned above you'll have an easier and probably stronger solution.

You'll not regret buying Ashley or most any other book on practical seamanship; you can spend hours in front of the TV set while practicing various knots and hitches so as to not completely waste your time there. (g) There are many knots and hitches suitable for a multitude of purposes; you'll not know which they might be until you start to learn a few and then make your own judgments. Fortunately, Ashley gives you helpful information on which are most secure and which might be easily tied but less trustworthy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts