SailNet Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I have an old 31 eastward ho with a small single wheel in the center of the cockpit and no auto pilot. I have tried a lot of different techniques for holding the wheel in place when I at down in the cabin, on the bow etc., mostly involving running lines or shock cords off cleats (there are two at either end of the stern a few feet behind the wheel, and also on the sides of the boat left and right of the sheel. Somehow I never get it quite right, altho it has not been a huge issue as the boat is a full keel and tracks straight usually. Does anyone have some tips on tying a wheel in place effectively? This wheel does not have its own locking mechanism, is that easily to install perhaps? Any help would be great, I feel I should have figured a method out by now, but haven't!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the comments thus far, they are helpful, and the brake is a great idea I didnt know would be available commercially. Thanks again.

Denise, by the way, what is the boat pictured there?

·
One of None
8,045 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yes that's the same boat, interesting to see it, thanks! and yes, a worm drive. I don't singlehand often or far enough to justify the autohelm, so was looking for other ideas...

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
A quick and eaasy could be some motorcycle tie downs, they have rubberized hooks at either end and you can adjust or release them quickly

1 - 10 of 10 Posts