SailNet Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey Folks!

I just sold our 27' Albin Vega and are considering moving down to a daysailer. I found one of these (early model 17' skipper dayboat...looks like 1960's not 70's) near my home and was wondering if anyone out there has had any experiences with this boat or be able to share some information on the sailing characteristics, craftsmanship, and quirks of this boat.

Looks like a nice big cockpit (close to 7' long) and small cuddy cabin for storing jackets, stove, ice cooler, etc...

I have two small children that will require a decent amount of space above deck and I can't have a heavy boat as I am now towing with a Honda Civic (900lbs) Max!

I was also wondering how long it takes to drop it in the water, raise the mast, rig it and go?

History

Any information on this little boat is greatly appreciated!
Fair Winds
Chris

·
Registered
3 Posts
I think you've all got it wrong. The Skipper 17 dayboat only weighs 780 lbs. There is a dedicated UK website. Some nice pictures there, too. As this is my first post on this forum the webmaster won't allow me to quote the actual web link.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks gweller!

The boat is about 780 give or take and the trailer is close to 200lbs as well...so the total weight of the boat and trailer will be too heavy for my little put put civic!

thanks so much for the link. The boat we were considering is on that second page.

I think we are going to go with an AMF Sunbird (1978). they are 200 lbs lighter, smaller trailer, easier to set up and take down which is really what we are looking for.

thanks again!
Fair Winds
Chris

·
Tartan 27' owner
5,238 Posts
Since I have never rigged or sailed on a Skipper 17' I was holding my tongue. It looks like an interesting boat with a good fan base in England where some folks spend the night on them.
Older boats may have slightly heavier spars (mast & boom) then some newer boats so I am not sure if it is easy to rig single handed.
Since you are considering a lighter boat I would check out the O'Day Day Sailors (17') if sleeping on the boat is not a priority for you.
The AMF Sunbird appears to have a small cabin like the Skipper 17.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts