SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys....one of the things I enjoy the most is getting people started in sailing...and I have managed to hook line and sinker my best friend from back home who lives here in Georgia to get sailing...

he bought a macgregor 25d trailer sailor, made him a member of a local sailing club and I have been teaching him how to sail...he is hooked

so after buying the topsiders, all sorts of clothing and cliche sailor stuff his wife asked me to give advice on a nice set of binoculars for local day sailing and lake weekending adventures.

so I have my dads and grandads big ole glass binoculars that wheigh a ton but wouldnt trade for anything...but I know that the modern pocket sailor today has many options with smaller high quality binoculars.

sooooooooo(sorry that was too long)

what are you guys using for binoculars these days...???

I would say entry level to mid level...small mid range focus...portable, light and stowable, something that a newb and cruiser a like can enjoy using etc

whats the low down on binoculars?

links to great deals on amazon would be great as they have free shipping there

thanks to all

christian

Reactions: mbianka

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)

·
Super Fuzzy
17,132 Posts
Bought a pair of Canon IS 10x30 a year or two back. They are, or at least I think they where the cheapest Image Stabilised available at the time and they where intended as a toe dipper before heading up market. Love them.

·
Old enough to know better
4,354 Posts
I have used these on a few boats.

Fujinon 7x50 WPC-XL Mariner Binocular with Compass 7107751 B&H

I think they were listed in some review I saw as well. They seemed to be pretty good. I would not go 10X unless they were stabilized like TDW's. I tend to like 50mm as everything else equal they will let in more light and will work better at dawn or dusk.

Most common I have seen have been various models of West Marine, but I am sure that is more availability than anything else. Though they seem to work at least as well as there price would indicate.

·
Large Member
299 Posts
My eyesight sucks so anything that helps me see more clearly, I'm a sucker for.

I ended up buying a pair of Steiner Marine 7X50.

I know not in your parameters but the glass is crystal clear and the've served me well for the last three years.

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks a lot guys...which model steiner did you get gmfl? where they similar to the one I posted?

really I appreciate the help...Im kind of an oldschooler so its kind of fun to shop for a friend and see what people out there enjoy

everything I read so far has been to keep the range to 7x50 or there abouts...

question stabilised binoculars is that like stabilised camera lenses?

I HAVE some vr lenses on my nikon camera...same thing basically?

cheers

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

I think they were listed in some review I saw as well. They seemed to be pretty good. I would not go 10X unless they were stabilized like TDW's. I tend to like 50mm as everything else equal they will let in more light and will work better at dawn or dusk.

Most common I have seen have been various models of West Marine, but I am sure that is more availability than anything else. Though they seem to work at least as well as there price would indicate.
I like this price range...

thanks miatapaul:)

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
thanks...

I think $150-250 is the price range my wifes friend will probably go with, so keep the advice coming...

peace

·
3,505 Posts

Have had those Fujinon's on the boat for 15 years. Nice entry level bino that will take a lickn and keep on tickn. At that price i'm not worrying about them getting dropped, banged around, wet and abused as they get. I did have the button that activates the light go bad.
Think those bigger Steiners are really nice. An image stabilizing pair would be my next upgrade.
Think your mate would do fine with the Fujinons.

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Have had those Fujinon's on the boat for 15 years. Nice entry level bino that will take a lickn and keep on tickn. At that price i'm not worrying about them getting dropped, banged around, wet and abused as they get. I did have the button that activates the light go bad.
Think those bigger Steiners are really nice. An image stabilizing pair would be my next upgrade.
Think your mate would do fine with the Fujinons.
Really like the price man...plus the strap looks good...jajaja

done and done...

thanks peeps

·
Registered
545 Posts
7x50 7 times magnification and 50 MM dia lenses (Light gathering power). That is what most birders use. 8x50 for lower light levels
more expensive 10x60 I would expect a commercial captain to chime in on these. Image stabalized is marvelous Having the image jump around is why I would not expect 10x60
on a small boat.

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yup thats is the consensus so far I have read into these

come to think about it I have no idea what my hand me downs are zoom wise

however they are very good at focusing...they have the lever in the middle and the right eye has the lever ring on the outside for fine tuning...however they are heavy...huge...and well cumbersome....

·
Master Mariner
9,410 Posts
If you are going to use your binoculars on a vessel, then there is absolutely nothing better than the Canon image stabilized binoculars. When I purchased mine, I made certain they could be returned because I believed they were a con; they are not!
It changes the whole experience of using binoculars. You can get a higher magnification and yet they are lighter, therefor easier to use.
I've used binoculars that cost over a thousand dollars with absolutely the best optics available, and they all pale beside the image stabilized binoculars. I have a set with the built in compass and never use them any more; they are pretty much redundant with gps.
Do yourself a real favor and spend the money on the image stabilized binos and they will be your favorite nav aid on the boat. Never mind that the bird watchers you know will love you to death, if you can bring yourself to share these little jewels.

Reactions: christian.hess

·
3,505 Posts

·
Master Mariner
9,410 Posts

·
Old enough to know better
4,354 Posts
thanks a lot guys...which model steiner did you get gmfl? where they similar to the one I posted?

really I appreciate the help...Im kind of an oldschooler so its kind of fun to shop for a friend and see what people out there enjoy

everything I read so far has been to keep the range to 7x50 or there abouts...

question stabilised binoculars is that like stabilised camera lenses?

I HAVE some vr lenses on my nikon camera...same thing basically?

cheers
Yes like the camera lens but seem to be more effective. I have a Nikon 70 to 300 vr but I am not that impressed on a camera I would rather have a fast lens than VR

·
Registered
25,128 Posts
I've had some real antiques aboard over the years. I think modern optics are amazing, but binocs are one of the tools aboard that have a real risk of going in the drink. Therefore, I just haven't gotten up the nerve to drop real coin on a pair.

Our current go-to pair are an old West Marine set. They work as well as any pair I've had over decades, keeping in mind I've never paid for crazy high quality.

I would say my two principal uses for binocs are to find a nav aid or to view a distant boat to determine its heading. They work fine for both. However, if I need to read a boat name, they fall short quickly. Nevertheless, I've found that any boat too far away for me to clearly read their name through these binocs, is probably too far for me to have to worry about right now anyway.

The third common use it to look at your boat in the anchorage. :)

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.