SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
aka $tingy Sailor
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm tired of holding the lids of my lazarettes open to get anything in or out of them. My pushpit prevents the lids from opening past top dead center so that they would rest on the gunwales. Between the boat heeling, the wind, and gravity, it's either you hold them open or they're going to slam shut, on your fingers, maybe.

I like the simplicity and lower cost of spring supports but I can imagine that if anything accidentally deflects the spring enough, the lid will still slam shut. I like the strength of gas lifts and the fact that they can't accidentally close but they are more expensive, especially if you with all SS.

Who has used both and prefers one over the other and why?

Follow my blog at stingysailor.wordpress.com

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I use two small eye straps on the underside of the lid.
A piece of shock cord and shock cord hook of white nylon.
The shock cord is tied on to one eye strap with the hook on the other end.
When not in use the hook is parked on the other eye strap.
The length of the shock cord is set so it can be hooked onto a suitable existing attachment, winch, rail wire, aft stay, pulpit or pushpit++.

Sorry no pics..

·
formerly 'BoatyardBoy'
534 Posts
I have two lazarette hatches with similar issues. I was thinking of just getting a gas ram and be done with it. I have been on a boat with a spring and if you slightly hit it, the spring gives and the lid closes. It's just not safe when underway or in seas. I'll be going with gas. My hatches are fairly small, so I can't imagine needing anything big.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

·
Sailor
935 Posts
If you have a latch with an eye for a padlock it is really simple to use a hook on a bit of shock cord that gets tied to the pushpit to hold the lid. Much better than spring or gas openers in my opinion!

Tod

Mandolin, Bayfield 36 out of Rock Creek, Chesapeake Bay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,473 Posts
padeyes and shock cords. screw a small padeye to the face of the lid, keep a small shock cord stowed inside the locker. Open the locker, grab the cord, hook one end to the padeye, loop around the pushpit and hook the free end to the padeye. Now they won't close when you don't want them to close, but if you need to slam a lid in a hurry, flick a hook free and it drops with a quickness.

As gladrags points out, if you already have locks on your locker, then you are one step ahead of the game. now you just need a couple of shock cords.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Hook.

I've had gas lifters and they seemed to get in the way more often. And I have had to replace them when they went.

The 150 pound hatch on the car is a different case; the gas strut is need to lift the hatch.

·
aka $tingy Sailor
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I do have lock hasps already and do use them with bungees when out of the water. I dunno about using something with hooks out on the water. They seem to have a mind of their own and tangle and hook onto everything but what you want them to, but I'll look into it some more. I'd prefer something that works one-handed without thinking about it.

Anybody else disappointed with gas lifts?

What about the hinge type lid supports that you have to collapse the "knee" to close?

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I do have lock hasps already and do use them with bungees when out of the water. I dunno about using something with hooks out on the water. They seem to have a mind of their own and tangle and hook onto everything but what you want them to, but I'll look into it some more. I'd prefer something that works one-handed without thinking about it.

Anybody else disappointed with gas lifts?

What about the hinge type lid supports that you have to collapse the "knee" to close?
I can use my shock cord system with one hand..
I feel that all the support systems share the same problem, get a strut that will block access from some angles.
Everything that can release by accident (if you bump into it) feels like a bad solution. Gas lifts is safer than spring or folding supports.

How easy is it to retrofit gas lifts?
I would have to do a lot of gluing/GRP work to fit gas lift on my boat.

·
formerly 'BoatyardBoy'
534 Posts
You could probably make some brackets out of so plate, id say about 3"x3" and you could probably get away with 5200 or better and epoxy to mount the gas rams to. Also, they could be mounted towards the back near the hinge so there isn't much of a intrusion. Or better yet, make a hinge bracket like on a car trunk that way the gas ram is underneath or behind the hatch and the ram pushes the hinge rather than the actual hatch.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

·
Super Fuzzy Moderator
17,136 Posts
We just have a loop of thin line hanging off the pushpit for the lazarette and another on the pulpit for the anchor locker. Works for me. Talk of struts and the like just seem to be a way of complicating the issue.

We do though have gas struts on the cockpit lockers. Installed before my time and admittedly there isn't anywhere obvious to tie them back to.

The Spring type openers are simply juvenile haemorrhoids. We have one on the top opening fridge and chart table. I'd really like to reduce them to their component molecules. They work on a side opeing door but are killers on top.

·
aka $tingy Sailor
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Attachments

·
Registered
539 Posts
The gas struts are really nice on larger lockers/lids. They'd get in the way a little if it's a smaller opening. They'll probably need replacement every couple of years in a marine environment, but they're easy to swap out and inexpensive enough to just go ahead and order twice as many as you need. Again, nice but not necessary.

For most locker lids a bungee or clip is the simplest and most effective solution.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
It's worth bearing in mind that on many boats, including mine, the lazarettes are open to the bilge. They are a major cause of sinkings of knocked-down boats (particularly J24s).

When sailing I always keep them padlocked, but with the padlock cracked. The last thing I would want is them flying open and being held open by spring pressure while the boat sinks....and you desperately look for something to hold them shut.

·
Wandering Aimlessly
22,036 Posts
I just use a loop of line attached to the inside of the front lip, that goes over the winch.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts