• Don't have them; wish I did

Votes: 15 23.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Wandering Aimlessly
22,037 Posts
I have them primarily because I singlehand.

·
Banned
26 Posts
I almost exclusively singlehand and eventually will get around to putting some on. And a jiffy reef.

·
One of None
8,045 Posts
I only love em when dropping the main.

Maybe you should have the question

"do you love and hate your lazy jacks?"

On a busy river with a shipping channel like where I'm at, just the time it takes to drop the main without jacks can be dangerous for the singlehander!

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,842 Posts
I have then and love them. Although our 50 have a "tradewids mast" that is shorter than the taller version, I find the main to be rather large. Having lazy jacks makes it easy to lower the large main. (And with just one zipper I have the main covered and away from the sun.) Being easier also means I'm more likely to take her out for a short sail. Finally, whether I single hand (not yet, boat is still pretty new-to-me) or not, one person can secure the main, quite easily.

The only downside is you really have to be pointing into the wind when raising the main, or else our battens catch on the lazy jacks. This is not really a problem when there's another crew member on board to turn her up at the right moment, when starting from a mooring, or when using the autopilot and engine to hold her into the wind. (I'll have to experiment with doing this single handed.)

Bottom line, love our lazy jacks.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I singlehand most of the time and wish I had them. Hope to add this summer. I added jiffy reefing last summer and don't know why I didn't add that earlier.

·
Señor Member
1,457 Posts
I've got 'em, and overall I'm happy with them. That said, there are a few things that kind of stick in my craw.

I've got a new mainsail, which has yet to soften up enough to flake easily into the bag. Therefore, I've got to stuff, poke, and wrestle with it to get it in far enough so the zipper of the bag can be closed.

Secondly (and this is more a rigging issue than a Jack design problem) my reefing lines ALWAYS fall outside of the bag, and so I've got to manually stuff these into the bag before it can be closed.

But, all things considered, I'm happy enough that I aint gonna be taking the Jacks off to replace them with something else.

·
Registered
197 Posts
The real key to loving them is making them collapsible so when raising the main you can pull them forward so battens etc hanging up is a non issue. Have sailed on boats without this set-up and not near as easy as ours. When dropping just pull them back out and away you go. It also means you don't have as many slots in the sailcover.

·
Registered
9,378 Posts
The real key to loving them is making them collapsible so when raising the main you can pull them forward so battens etc hanging up is a non issue. Have sailed on boats without this set-up and not near as easy as ours. When dropping just pull them back out and away you go. It also means you don't have as many slots in the sailcover.
I sail a lot of different boats. Many have lazy jacks. A system set up as above is a dream. Those that cannot be stowed forward can be a nightmare.

Jack

·
Senior Moment
598 Posts
Like others have said, we like them for dropping the main. We have to watch for catching battens on the way up though.

michael
dehler 39

·
Midwest Puddle Pirate
2,160 Posts
I have the lazy cradle system from Sailcare. Basically it's a set of lazyjacks with the lower section made of elastic. I deploy them before dropping the main, and stow them as I put the sail cover on. They're never in the way because they stay at the mast until I need them.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I too single hand and they keep the sail off the deck and out of the line of sight when dropping the main. I made my own and they work good but not perfact. Roller headsail is great for single hand too.

·
19,489 Posts
Ours are removable, set up on shock cords off the rig except when dousing the main. This gets away from most of the hassle during raising the main and also allows use of a conventional mainsail cover.

We primarily use them to prevent the main from dropping all over the dodger and scratching the ($$$) lexan windows.

·
Chesapeake Sailor
579 Posts
We use the Dutchman and have had pretty good results with it as a replacement for lazy jacks that we used on other boats. Both work reasonably well. The Dutchman requires pretty precise set-up and adjustment, but when done correctly, it is really convenient.

Wayne

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What?

We use the Dutchman and have had pretty good results with it as a replacement for lazy jacks that we used on other boats. Both work reasonably well. The Dutchman requires pretty precise set-up and adjustment, but when done correctly, it is really convenient.

Wayne
What is the Dutchman?

·
Registered
596 Posts
I have them, but find that it is difficult for me to flake the lowered sail
single handed.
I intend to switch to a Dutchman's system.
Dick

1 - 20 of 45 Posts