SailNet Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I,m new to sailnet so please bear with me if this question about the lazyjack systems and sail slugs has all ready been answered. I sail a small 18' American Sail Boat in confined waters, single. My problem is when I come in I have to lower my main and come in up power (4hp kicker) I usually end up with a pile of sail in the cockpit, sometimes the wind catches it and it end up in the water before I can bunge it up on the boom, it's just a pain in the neck, hence the lazyjack system. Question? How far apart should the sail slugs be on a small sail like I have. I've heard one every 1', every 2' , 18". is there any rule of thumb...Thanks ..debnoznal

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
This is a 18' boat with a boom that's probably less than 9' long. Four would probably work, but is probably also overkill. :) That said, a good lazyjack system and mainsail furling system is described here.

Place four equally apart per side, and that should do it....i2f

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Two might do it, three would work well on that small a boat, but the installation of four is not much more work and will be better. :) My boat had only a three leg system originally, and the four-leg system works much, much better.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to all for the info. I think I'll try 4 per side equally spaced, I can always add more if needed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts