SailNet Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello:
I am looking for some help. A good friend has a 13 year old nephew who is having trouble in school, etc and my friend is thinking of sending him to an Upward Bound class that uses the outdoors to teach self reliance, confidence, team building, etc. We would both like to find a class that uses sailing to teach the same qualities. Does anybody know of a class devoted to people around that age that incorporates these lessons into sailing, rather than just sailing the boat? Any input or advice will be greatly appreciated and could have a major impact on this young man''s future.

Regards.

Ben

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ben,

Hurricane Island Outward Bound School does sailing courses in Penobscot Bay, Maryland and the Everglades. Their website is www.hurricaneisland.org. I''m not sure if thirteen might be under their age requirements, though. I happen to know of a group in the UK called the London Sailing Project whose aims are pretty close to what you describe. Their website is www.lsp.org.uk and they sail three large ketches on the south coast and across to France.

Jeff

·
Banned
17,467 Posts
WalkerBen - Sailingdog runs a boot camp for troubled youth out of his Telstar - IIRC it's called "MultiBound". You might check with him. I can't think of any punishment worse than that.

Of course, since the kid is now 22 - he's probably already in Rikers, or a young conservative.

(See sctpc - the world didn't even end.)

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
And you wonder why people call you a troll... :rolleyes:

As for worse punishments, he could be forced to sail with you. :)

WalkerBen - Sailingdog runs a boot camp for troubled youth out of his Telstar - IIRC it's called "MultiBound". You might check with him. I can't think of any punishment worse than that.

Of course, since the kid is now 22 - he's probably already in Rikers, or a young conservative.

(See sctpc - the world didn't even end.)

·
Banned
17,467 Posts
And you wonder why people call you a troll... :rolleyes:

As for worse punishments, he could be forced to sail with you. :)
Only a handful of goofballs call me a "troll". And coming from them it's perfectly cool with me.

Anyway, I was just trying to reassure scptc that floating old threads on Sailnet is widely accepted...encouraged even.

BTW - I've not yet heard back from WalkerBen. I'm getting worried.

·
Banned
17,467 Posts
Hell no! You're on your own pal!

Actually, I think Painkiller has a new program he'd like to tell you about. It's called "The Plunger School of Etiquette".

1 - 8 of 8 Posts