SailNet Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
78 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back in February of this year I purchased a 1983 I-30 Bahama. When I first saw the boat (in February), it basically bone dry with just an inch or two of water in the bilge and it had been on the hard for over a year. When I went to start working on it in April, the cabin was flooded with four inches of water. I attributed that to the scuppers being blocked up by the tarp that had collapsed due to snow and water flooding over the transom into the cabin.
I installed an electric bilge pump (amazed that the boat didn't have one!!!) and sailed through the season. I had installed some deck items like fairleads and clutches. I also repaired a stanchion base. I didn't get around to resealing the chainplates.
With the boat on the hard in November, I checked in after a few rain storms and saw the bilge almost overflowing. Pumped that out and then covered the boat with a tarp (I had the mast down) so almost the entire boat except for the last three feet of the cockpit was protected. Weather has been pretty cold (I'm in NJ) but when I would check the boat, I saw water creeping up in the bilge. With a spate of warm weather hitting us last week, I ended up having to pump out an inch of water in the cabin!
This is driving me crazy as I can't figure out where such a substantial leak can be coming from. I don't see any water streaks on the wood near the chainplates.
Any thoughts on where to look next? (It will have to wait until spring. I'll just be pumping in the meantime. Any preferred techniques for leak detection? I'm toying with one that involves blowing air from a ShopVac into a sealed interior. Anyone try that?
Thanks

· Registered
78 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, Jeff. You've given me hope! And I'll use a leaf blower as you suggest. I'm planning on cutting out a piece of plywood to temporarily replace one of the slats comprising the companionway door and cutting a hole in the center for the leaf blower.

Hi and congrats on getting an Islander. I have a 1979 Islander Bahama and love it. I had a similar issue, but to a much lesser degree. I would get lots of leaks whenever it rained and was frustrated with never being able to find the actual point where the water was getting in. I finally used the ShopVac method you mentioned ( I actually used a heavy duty leaf blower) and it worked great.

Hope this helps. Good luck

· Registered
78 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The scuppers are fine and I do plan on rechecking all of the hardware. Can you give me any examples of other drain lines? I'm not aware of any other than the scuppers.
Thanks

3 feet of pit exposed? Start with the pit deck and move to scuppers and drain lines. Then I,d try any exposed hdwr.

hth

· Registered
78 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good tip. It will be a major PITA (pain in...) crawling around under the tarp...and it's still pretty cold! Has to been done, though.
Thanks

Ignoring leaky chainplates can lead to major problems, especially if that water is getting behind trim and attacking your interior wood or bulkheads. If you can't get to that right away, use some sash putty or beeswax and temporarily seal them from above.

· Registered
78 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Interesting. I did have some leakage in the cabinet under the ice box but couldn't for the life of me figure out where it was coming. Since it wasn't significant, it kept slipping down the "To do" list. Sigh...

one last thought; don't forget that the ice box drains into the bilge (at least it does on mine). Make sure you don't have some crazy leak that's getting into the bilge via that route.

Good Luck.

· Registered
78 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I took a quick look under the cockpit through the stern locker to check out the scupper situation. There weren't any obvious cracks in any of the hoses but it wasn't raining so I can't attest to no leakage from there. The hose layout did cause me some concern, though. The hoses from the scuppers run down to the hull bottom and then follow the hull up at a slight incline before they exit the thru hulls out of the stern. I can easily see water accumulating in the hoses and then freezing over and preventing any additional water from passing through unless the hose defrosts faster than the cockpit. I can foresee lots of playing around with a garden hose splashing water around come spring...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.