SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
54 Posts
Reaction score
Congratulations on a great boat. I've owned two, both '79s, and have rebuilt both from the ground up. And I agree with the comments posted so far, your best bet will be the hoses draining the cockpit to the stern. If the cockpit was all that was exposed to the rain/snow, then that's where the leak must be. Also check the actual stern drain fittings. The factory installed cheep plastic ones in '79 and they have a tendency to crack. Also have a look at anything down hill from the cockpit locker lids. The drains built into the sides of the seats direct a lot of water. Is there anything owner installed in the line of that water passage? I've seen manual bilge pumps mounted there, with cracked rubber covers, allowing all sorts of water in. My current Islander B30 has previous owner mounted outdoor speakers mounted in line with the drain path of the lazerette water. The speakers were old and ruptured and not sealed properly in the first place. Again, lots of water into the bilge.
On the issue of windows in the main cabin, yes they have a tendency to leak. They are relatively easy to pull out and I certainly would if there was any sign of a leak. The backing to the cabin sides are plywood. I've seen B30s with major rot in this area (not mine, thankfully!). Clean up the plastic frame and the opening, then use a good sealer (and lots of it) to re-bed the windows. Mark Plastics in California still makes direct replacements for these boats. I purchased new ones for out boat a number of years ago, came on budget and on time.
If the toe rail leaks that's a relatively easy fix. I doubt the actual sealer is leaking, it's most likely the bolts holding the deck to the hull. Something as simple as tightening the nuts will usually solve that problem. At worst the bolt has to come out and be re-bedded with a sealer. Time consuming, but doable.
As I've mentioned, I've rebuilt two of these boats and know them quite well. I can send you more information if you wish.

Bert Vermeer
Sidney, BC
[email protected]

· Registered
54 Posts
Reaction score
Congratulations on a great boat. I've owned two, both '79s, and have rebuilt both from the ground up. And I agree with the comments posted so far, your best bet will be the hoses draining the cockpit to the stern. If the cockpit was all that was exposed to the rain/snow, then that's where the leak must be. Also check the actual stern drain fittings. The factory installed cheap plastic ones in '79 and they have a tendency to crack. Also have a look at anything down hill from the cockpit locker lids. The drains built into the sides of the seats direct a lot of water. Is there anything owner installed in the line of that water passage? I've seen manual bilge pumps mounted there, with cracked rubber covers, allowing all sorts of water in. My current Islander B30 has previous owner mounted outdoor speakers mounted in line with the drain path of the lazerette water. The speakers were old and ruptured and not sealed properly in the first place. Again, lots of water into the bilge.
On the issue of windows in the main cabin, yes they have a tendency to leak. They are relatively easy to pull out and I certainly would if there was any sign of a leak. The backing to the cabin sides are plywood. I've seen B30s with major rot in this area (not mine, thankfully!). Clean up the plastic frame and the opening, then use a good sealer (and lots of it) to re-bed the windows. Mark Plastics in California still makes direct replacements for these boats. I purchased new ones for out boat a number of years ago, came on budget and on time.
If the toe rail leaks that's a relatively easy fix. I doubt the actual seal is leaking, it's most likely the bolts holding the deck to the hull. Something as simple as tightening the nuts will usually solve that problem. At worst the bolt has to come out and be re-bedded with a sealer. Time consuming, but doable.
As I've mentioned, I've rebuilt two of these boats and know them quite well. I can send you more information if you wish.

Bert Vermeer
Sidney, BC
[email protected]

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.