SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
28 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1988 Catalina 30 and two of the keel bolts are leaking water into the bilge. I know I will need to have the keel dropped and rebedded, but I'm concerned about the hull core absorbing water. Is my concern valid or am I just paranoid?

· Learning the HARD way...
7,911 Posts
Reaction score
I don't believe that the 1980s vintage Catalina 30s had cored hulls. In fact, I don't believe that ANY Catalina 30s had cored hulls (I am sure that someone will come along and correct me shortly).

Just because you're paranoid, it doesn't mean that they're not out to get you.

· Registered
96 Posts
Reaction score
There was a fairly recent thread on this issue on Catalinas. At some point - maybe 1987, Catalina stopped using the plywood in the keel stub so you may be OK there. Catalina has a factory sketch on how to do the plywood replacement if you need that - it was posted in an earlier thread.

Of course, regardless you still have the leak to deal with.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.