SailNet Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've hauled out and stumped by water that appears directly under the engine bilge. I thought water pump but the face plate is showing no corrosion. I have a PSS dripless shaft seal and know my cutlass is bad.

So, I am wondering, does a bad cutlass cause a PSS to drip.

Could it still be the water pump, I've order a rebuild kit but not opened it up yet, the outside shows almost zero corrosion.

There's a clear tube coming off the back of the heat exchanger - could this be a drip line for condensation and would it be this much water- 1/2 inch in bilge?

Finally, I am replacing belts and cannot get the alt to budge an inch to tighten that belt that's been loose and causing my tach to go out.

Thanks for any help! I am new here and new owner of a 78 Pearson 323.

·
Registered
547 Posts
If you sail in salt water, did you taste the water to see if it's salty? If not, it's neither your PSS or your pump. I doubt your cutless would cause the PSS to leak but if it's known bad, fix it before you do a lot of troubleshooting.

Regarding the alternator, make sure the bolt through the foot is loose along with the bolt that goes through the adjustment arm. A tight foot bolt will prevent you from moving the alt back and forth on the arm.

·
Master Mariner
8,384 Posts
A cutlass bearing does not stop water. As a matter of fact, it requires water for lubrication.
If your dripless shaft seal is leaking, that is a problem, though not necessarily your only problem. I'd start there.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick responses. Unfortunately I did not taste the water before I cleaned out the bilge/hauled out, I am in salt water, and the engine has 600 hours so first thought was water pump rebuild at haul out. I do notice this clear tubing that runs from the heat exchanger, from an outlet just below the exhaust elbow and wondered if that was a relief valve, or similar. It point directly toward the bilge under the engine.

I should have said, but my driveshaft is strut mounted, so wasn't thinking the cutlass was leaking but that the bad cutlass was causing vibration and therefore creating leak on the PSS.

The PSS boot looks to be in great shape, as are the clamps. I do know my alt belt was twice as loose as it should be. I just did a 7 day cruise with no overheating, and the water was there the whole time - and it was ICW so A LOT of motoring (2800 RPM x 70 hours).

So, just wondering if anyone knows the 3YM30 to produce 1/4'' - 1/2'' of water when cruising - is it normal to have a relief like that from something - temps were usually avg. 85 day and 65 night.

Thanks for all. Looks like I am going to replace belts, rebuild pump, and replace cutlass (absolute necessity) and see what happens next.

·
One of None
8,045 Posts
happened to me many years ago had a bad inverted loop. On the engine, it's called the siphon
break. Maybe something similar is going on with yours

·
19,489 Posts
From your description of the tube I think Denise may be onto something. However often the syphon break is plumbed to a cockpit drain or some other area that drains outside.

If the PSS collar, and compression hose are properly loaded I'd think any vibration that caused a leak would be obvious and felt underway.

Alternator belt.. probably a tight bolt as Capta suggests, or the adjustment arm is too short...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input, the hose Iam referring to is just before where the vented loop begins and returns after looping a 180.

This could be it, so after shutting engine, it's normal to dump water until equalized with waterline? This would explain it, although strange not plumbed to thru hull, guess it keeps your bilge working.

Or Denise, what were your symptoms from the bad vented loop, was this the cause of the water release?

I've never had and serious vibration, and cutlass is bad, not to mention the diesels vibe at idle....if that don't make the PSS leak, nothing would, surely not a bad cutlass. :)

Many thanks!

·
One of None
8,045 Posts
yes when they are bad the let water out.. only when the engine is running The one that was bad was plastic and the water was plumbed into the exhaust hose behind the engine. the new one I've never connected exhaust so it it were to go bad we would know.
what we have now.

what we had

·
Registered
4,608 Posts
Some 'drip less' fitting have a venting hose to above WL. If this isn't where it should be could account for varying amonts of water in the bilge. Anti syphon units are so important and so ignored or misunderstood.

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
With regard to your alternator belt, where is the bolt in the slot in the adjustment slot in the support arm? Is there room to move out as you tighten the belt? If not, the belt may be too long.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Great advice! I tracked down the anti-siphon valve and it was 100% clogged/corroded. Definitely the cause of the water in the bilge from the vent line. This was my first post the community and proved invaluable. Thanks for everyone's time in commenting.

Now just to get my alt belt tighter. It's already in the second bolt hole out (on the bottom of the alt). The slide bracket on top (for adjusting out further) seems to be seized in place by the top bolt on that spot. Or perhaps the belt it just too long or stretched from age. I have the advantage of a v-drive meaning access to alt is via the cockpit locker doing a headstand down into the engine compartment, meaning room to move is minimum at best.

Thanks again!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts