SailNet Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Spindrift 22 with a shallow anchor locker above the V-berth. A plastic tube runs from the anchor locker drain, through the cabin, and out the front of the boat (it is pretty short.) I am having a leak. I am 99% sure that it is a combination of the drain seal and cracked fiberglass. The leak has clearly degraded the fiberglass around the seal, but it has only started.

Should I get a professional in there to cut-out the old fiberglass and repair it? Will it suffice to seal the cracks very well and redo seal? Since the danforth goes up there, I'm afraid that the surface repairs may not hold.

This would also be my first fiberglass repair. If it is a sensitive job, then I'm not 100% confident in my work.

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
In general, just attempting to seal the cracks with some goo applied to the top will not solve the problem for any period of time. Since this is not a structural issue, I would not hesitate to attempt a repair yourself. West Products has excellent literature and repair guides to show you how to proceed with a repair.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks a lot I read up on that and it doesn't seem to be very hard. Looks like the worst parts will be making a mold and drilling out the hole. How should the drain plug be installed to keep it from leaking?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Drain plug? you lost me on that. I don;t see why you'd plug your anchor locker drain. Anyway, I wsa going to make a comment of encouragement. Glassing is on of those things that isn't as scary as you might thing, and what a great chance to try it out, if it still leaks you'll be able to see it easily and try again. Good luck

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry, I just meant the drain. I was feeling a little overwhelmed this morning, but you're right. It is a great opportunity to try! I was looking in there today and a previous owner covered up the leak with some cream colored crap. Obviously that didn't work forever.

I have narrowed down and diagnosed all my issues. Now its time to deal with them. These all are lessons learned for retirement on a bigger boat, lol!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts