SailNet Community banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Ignoring Trolls in 2009
453 Posts
Yellow,
Having played vsk intermittantly for years, I can say it has helped me a lot with sailing theory, not the same as doing it. But every little bit helps. :D
There are a lot of virtual yacht clubs out there, the one I have sailed with is Anarchist Yacht Club.
Anarchist Yacht Club - WELCOME TO AYC

Another interesting and free virtual game is Virtual Loup de Mer. It stages virtual races and uses real time weather for routing. I haven't played in a while but it is fun to compete in around the world races, helps with weather routing and reading GRIB files.

Virtual Loup-De-Mer

Michael

·
Registered
403 Posts
Anybody have an opinion on Virtual Skipper versus one of the Posey sailing simulators? I've been toying with the trial version of the Posey Coastal Cruiser and am finding it interesting, if a little non-intuitive.

·
Ignoring Trolls in 2009
453 Posts
Anybody have an opinion on Virtual Skipper versus one of the Posey sailing simulators? I've been toying with the trial version of the Posey Coastal Cruiser and am finding it interesting, if a little non-intuitive.
JJ,
I was underwhelmed with Posey (I only tried the trial version as well). VSK is geared to racing, but the dynamics seem very well designed and thought out, there is a strong group of players and it is open-source in a lot of ways, allows for importation of new boats, courses, etc.... I think there is a trial version, but online play is where the most fun and learning occurs with this game. It has a good learning curve. The wind/wave dynamics are outstanding. People with way more time than me have shown that something as small as 1 or 2 degree rudder variation from optimal in tacks affects boat speed tremendously. Maybe more than the average cruising sailor wants to think about, but it really makes crossing situations and give-way stand-on become more intuitive. Not to mention it is a lot of fun for those days when you cannot get out and do the real thing.

Michael

·
Aquaholic
1,139 Posts
Who can say more about Virtual Loop-de-mer ?

The web site looks interesting, is there a cost?

·
Ignoring Trolls in 2009
453 Posts
Who can say more about Virtual Loop-de-mer ?

The web site looks interesting, is there a cost?
VLM is free and I received no spam I can attribute to them.
I haven't done a race in about 6 months with them. To do well takes checking in about 3 or 4 times a day to make course corrections. It uses real time weather updates I believe updated every 20 mins to predict boat movements. It helps to have a seperate Grib reader I used GRIB US, also free. GRIB.US > Home
The interface on VLM was a little difficult for me, originally written in French (which I don't speak) and then translated to English (which I sort of speak). :D They were working on improving the English site the last time I was on. Overall, very fun, and very time consuming.

Michael

·
Aquaholic
1,139 Posts
Great, time consuming, my boss will luv ya, LOL

Sounds like fun; I will check it out further,
Thanks

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I completed the tutorial sailings last night and it was fun.

So far I have learned that hoisting a spinnaker and turning at the wrong time leads to a broached boat. I have also learned that sparring with another boats mast in a race is consider a penalty worthy event. I have also learned that, unlike Nascar, a little 'rubbin' is also considered a penalty worthy event! Geesh, its not like there isn't touch up paint!

I finally beat the computer in the final race tutorial when somehow the computer drew a 360 penalty on me. I haven't had time to quite figure out how one really determines who has right of way on a bouy - clearly it isn't who has the bigger cajones!

I was wondering about the realism a bit when I was sailing on starboard side of the computer with wind on my starboard side - I would have thought I would have sucked all the wind out of his sails and slowed him down but that didn't happen. Regardless, I cut him off at the bouy...sucker!

·
Ignoring Trolls in 2009
453 Posts
It is a lot of fun and pretty addictive, gets more so once you start playing online. The wind shadows are pretty accurate as far as I can tell. And probably more so to the point as far as people who actually race have told me. What you may have seen from on the windward position, starboard tack is called lee bow and actually you get slowed down by dirty air off the other boats sails if he has just a small lead on you. Hope to see you online someday, my screen name is the same for vsk.

Michael

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
I have two new interactive DVDs coming out the ought to be a hit with you guys.

Learn to bottom paint. To get the most out of the DVD you need to buy the optional electronic paint roller that connects to your computer by way of a USB cable.

The second.

The virtual fuel filter change. It comes complete with 10, scratch and sniff diesel fuel samples. More can be ordered for the cost of shipping and handing only.

Please send your checks to:

Frickemall Industries
P O Box 000
Frickemall NY, 12345

Please wait 4 to 6 years for shipment.

·
Ignoring Trolls in 2009
453 Posts
I have two new interactive DVDs coming out the ought to be a hit with you guys.

Learn to bottom paint. To get the most out of the DVD you need to buy the optional electronic paint roller that connects to your computer by way of a USB cable.

The second.

The virtual fuel filter change. It comes complete with 10, scratch and sniff diesel fuel samples. More can be ordered for the cost of shipping and handing only.

Please send your checks to:

Frickemall Industries
P O Box 000
Frickemall NY, 12345

Please wait 4 to 6 years for shipment.
Sure, and then you are going to come out with virtual head rebuilder, of course the scratch and sniff samples will require a hazmat license. :laugher

·
baDumbumbum
1,142 Posts
Heh. I just picked up VSK3 off Amazon -- remaindered, so it only cost $7 delivered. Not as sharp as VSK5, but still good fun. Each race, time attack, or challenge contains a 'trick' that you must figure out, sometimes related to the course or AI opponents, often related to the particular boat. For instance, the Melges 24 is wicked fast on a spinnaker reach, but the ACC boats don't plane and there's no sense sailing tighter than 30 degrees off DDW.

I know I'm getting better as the tasks become harder, cuz I've gone back and played scenarios that gave me trouble before and they are easy. Doubt it will improve my sailing much, but it's a fun way to piss away 30 minutes of winter.

My only complaints are some nasty bugs that can lock up the pooter; the inability to run the game as a Window and minimize it or close it w/out backtracking thru 4 screens; and a tendency for the game to award penalties when you are 3 boat lengths away from everybody. And while VSK3 has a rudimentary terrain-building function, you can't populate your course with AIs to race against.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yup, defintely some 'interesting' AI. In one of the tutorials on right of way I am allowed to get run over by the competitor boat - and they don't take a 360 penalty! In the one I am currently stuck on about rightt of way with someone behind you its nuts. A straight shot to the finish line and I immediately put up my spinnaker to get to 13ish knots. The guy behind though magically is faster than me for the whole stretch (and I am cheating using the wind guide for best power). Definitely must be a 'trick' to this tutorial to win (oh and cutting him off and getting hit by the guy from behind gives me a 360 making that not an option).

Fun stuff though, the big rolling waves and wind are really nicely done.

·
baDumbumbum
1,142 Posts
Oh -- and the game is in a rut of 20 minute races featuring ACC boats on the same basic triangular course. BORING. You got 4 boats, mix it up a little. I don't like ACC boats. I don't like milling around the start area for 3 minutes. And I don't like programs that won't let you fiddle parameters to make the game more enjoyable. Mebbe VSK5 is a little less rigid? Can you pick your boat, or modify start delay, etc?

·
..........huh?..
395 Posts
I will deem no simulator realistic unless it has some provision for a grumpy female voice from somewhere on the boat criticizing the captain's abilities. Maybe a "What were you thinking there?" or just a terse "HELL NO" reply to the skipper's "Ready About?" would help would-be sailors prepare for the real world.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.