SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone!
I'm moving to Stamford, CT this week and interested in finding sailing resources there. I enjoy reading the forums and didn't see anything about this topic posted (I also did the google/sailnet search to try and avoid duplicate posts - trying to be a good thread starter ; ) I sailed FJs in college and have an even smaller puddle jumper I sail on Pymatuning Lake in Ohio. (So minimal experience but lots of enthusiasm!) I'm very excited to be moving to (big) water and real sailing opportunities! I considered signing up for a random sailing school there, but figured I'd ask for advice or recommendations on here! Eventually hope to get my own great boat, but lessons are about all I can afford right now (sadly!) Thanks for any and all help/info/suggestions!
:)

barelyfloats

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Monday - Moving to Connecticut from Ohio.
yeah, sailing would be a world more fun! soon, hopefully, soon!
Btw, working on increasing my posts so I can PM people. Taking a little while because trying to avoid posting junk in the name of posting! Thanks for replying! I really appreciate it!

barelyfloats

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Go to one of the ignore threads and post away, when you get to ten PM me your name and if you have a CT phone # or a cell number let me know. If you are moved in by next weekend maybe we can get together then.

Also let me know where in Stamford, one of my sons lives there.

·
Telstar 28
992 Posts
Hey Denby-

how was the sailing on monday?????

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hey Denby,

I'm in Milford harbor on one of the Milford Landing floating docks. I was out Monday morning from about 10 till noon when the wind died. Had to motor back in and just when I hit the breakwater, it picked back up. It was interesting to watch the parade of boats leaving ML. As I had domestic chores to perform for the Admiral, I missed out on the afternoon wind.

Barelyfloats - I go out most Friday afternoons single handing and if ya want a ride, let me know! Also, youmay want ot check out Sound Sailing in Norwalk. They have classes and will charter to students who attend their classes.

Cheers!

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Hey Denby,

I'm in Milford harbor on one of the Milford Landing floating docks. I was out Monday morning from about 10 till noon when the wind died. Had to motor back in and just when I hit the breakwater, it picked back up. It was interesting to watch the parade of boats leaving ML. As I had domestic chores to perform for the Admiral, I missed out on the afternoon wind.

Barelyfloats - I go out most Friday afternoons single handing and if ya want a ride, let me know! Also, youmay want ot check out Sound Sailing in Norwalk. They have classes and will charter to students who attend their classes.

Cheers!
What is the name of your boat? Mine is Slight Breeze.

·
Telstar 28
992 Posts
If the boat's name was based on its owner it would either be "Blowin' Stink" or "Breakin' Wind". :)

What is the name of your boat? Mine is Slight Breeze.

·
Registered
3,989 Posts
Stamford area sailing

In Stamford itself there are at least the Stamford Yacht Club and Halloween Yacht Club. Wednesday night racing is rampant on cruising boats. To the East is Darien - home of Noroton Yacht Club, which has fierce competition in fleets of J/24's and Sonars. Norwalk YC, in Rowayton, is also nearby, with a PHRF racing scene. To the East of Stamford is Greenwich, with Riverside and Indian Harbor YC's. A bit further on is Rye NY (American YC) Mamaroneck (Beach Point YC) and Larchmont (Larchmont YC). All these clubs have skippers hungry for crew in any number of boats. Cruise down and let them know you're interested in crewing and you'll be busy until October.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Denby,

I have the green hulled Seafarer, Puppy Feet 2. Hopefully if the weather clears enough (meaning it's not raining!) I'll be down there friday about 1. Half day Fridays during the summer allows me to get out almost every Friday afternoon.

See ya down there!

ps. Blowin Stink ? Breaking Wind? C'mon Dog, tell it like it really is, willya? ;)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for all the school suggestions! The beginning classes all look pretty similar from school to school, at least online. I'm leaning towards Sound Sailing in Norwalk since it seems to be closest. Does anyone know if there is a difference between these schools? Anyone have personal experience with any of them? Thanks for all the great suggestions! I really appreciate it!

·
Telstar 28
992 Posts
Barelyfloats-

In addition to taking classes, and getting time sailing with good people like Denby, I'd highly recommend you get the David Seidman book, The Complete Sailor, which is one of the best sailing primers I've come across in a long time. It is essentially required reading for new crew on my boat.
Thanks for all the school suggestions! The beginning classes all look pretty similar from school to school, at least online. I'm leaning towards Sound Sailing in Norwalk since it seems to be closest. Does anyone know if there is a difference between these schools? Anyone have personal experience with any of them? Thanks for all the great suggestions! I really appreciate it!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Barelyfloats-

In addition to taking classes, and getting time sailing with good people like Denby, I'd highly recommend you get the David Seidman book, The Complete Sailor, which is one of the best sailing primers I've come across in a long time. It is essentially required reading for new crew on my boat.
Thanks, Sailingdog! I ordered it last week after hearing about it on another post here!:D

·
Telstar 28
992 Posts
Excellent. One reason I like The Complete Sailor is that it covers a greater breadth of topics than most "learn to sail" books. It covers anchoring, sailing on/off a mooring, slip, beach, an abbreviated history of boats, a bit about boat designs, weather, etc., which most learn to sail books don't even touch on. Say hi to Denby for me when you see him and his better half. :D

Thanks, Sailingdog! I ordered it last week after hearing about it on another post here!:D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.