SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last month when my Captain was working on the deck I heard this PLOP then OH _)(&*(*&%^&*^(*! The first thing that came to my mind was "Christmas present!" I have a Gerber tool that I love because I can open it with one hand and I couldn't do that with my Leather Ms. But the one that hit the drink was a Leatherman. So guys... which do YOU prefer? And which model?
thanks....

·
Anything-Sailing Founder
2,241 Posts
Gerber. I love the one hand opening and the fact you can actually put some clamping muscle behind it without killing your palm.

·
1977 Morgan OI 30
438 Posts
leatherman original

The size of the original leatherman is perfect and if you get the vinal case its convenient. I think the Gerber and other bigger leathermen tools are too big. I love and have gone through about 6...at least one is in 30' of water, two have broken blades.
I'm forever coming up w '$million' dollar ideas and thought of a leatherman tool for firefighters [used to be one] that would have firebox keys and elevator key built in. But now I'd prefer to have one with a lobster shell cracking tool.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I'd go with the Gerber.
I love my leatherman super tool its bulletproof - the cadillac of the two, just made with greater precision. I use mine regularly - the leatherman's a top-notch tool - it never loses its shine. It's the one I keep in my tool bag. But, I keep the gerber in my back pocket or take it when I go hiking. Not sure of the gerber model I use - its got regular and searated blade, file, assorted marginally functional screw drivers, and a bottle/can opener(a must). The pliers on the gerber are not as fine but do the job. In the end the gerber is just easier to use.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
I'd second the Leatherman Surge. It's got decent scissors, as well as easily replaceable saw blades. The knives can be opened singlehanded, and all the blades lock.

·
Anything-Sailing Founder
2,241 Posts
I'd second the Leatherman Surge. It's got decent scissors, as well as easily replaceable saw blades. The knives can be opened singlehanded, and all the blades lock.
I've never tried the Surge. After seeing the video I see leathermans have come a ways since I last used one :).

·
Anything-Sailing Founder
2,241 Posts
Ya but aren't SOGs just blades? I think the point here is multitool. Unless SOG makes one. I wasn't able to find one on their site.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a Leatherman Wave with leather pouch.

Very pleased with it. Had it a long time. Although I would like a corkscrew on it.

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
Both the Leatherman Surge and Wave have been recommended. They are very similar tools, both good for sailors.

When my original Leatherman went over in the same fashion as your husband's, I went with the Wave, due to its smaller size. It's about 3/4-4/5 the size of the Surge -- and noticeably lighter. Unlike the original, many of the tools are accessible without unfolding it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Last month when my Captain was working on the deck I heard this PLOP then OH _)(&*(*&%^&*^(*! The first thing that came to my mind was "Christmas present!" I have a Gerber tool that I love because I can open it with one hand and I couldn't do that with my Leather Ms. But the one that hit the drink was a Leatherman. So guys... which do YOU prefer? And which model?
thanks....
I prefer the old, smaller Leatherman Tool, because I do not want something bulky and only want the basic tools. For you husband, I think it would depend on how he uses it, whether he wants a tool that is small and light, and how brand-conscious he is. How did he react to your Gerber? That would give you the best clue. I hope this helps.

·
Anything-Sailing Founder
2,241 Posts
There is one in about 20' of water at the Emeryville marina if you want to do some diving... RIP poor little SOG. Served me well :(
I stand corrected. Thanks for the pic. Do they still make them? I tried looking on their site and couldn't find anything except knives really.

As far as losing overboard, one thing I loved about my Gerber was that one of the foldouts was a lanyard ring. I also ended up getting the bit driver expansion for it which added a adapter allowing you to use any 1/4" hex driver bit. The nice part is it all stores neatly in the included fold-over sheath.

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
Doesn't really answer your question, but...

For tools, on the boat, I'd prefer to grab a real tool from the toolkit down below. Never much cared for most of the tools in a multi-tool, except in a pinch--where the real thing was not available or the requirement so trivial it wasn't worth the trip.

I no longer carry a multi-tool on my belt. Instead I usually have a 3" (or a bit less) locking folding knife of good quality clipped into one of my pockets.

On-board, I think I'd prefer a locking folding knife with a good, usable, locking marlingspike. And maybe with a usable shackle key that didn't require opening the blade.

Jim

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wow... this is like women and shoes-you guys DO have your favorites. He usually does have his clipped on when we sail. I always have mine on if really windy or offshore and have used it from time to time at night, offshore when going forward. And then I was happy I didn't have to go back to cockpit to get it. I'm going shopping and will be one of those hands on shoppers of "Now can I see this one????" THANKS guys-

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
One point I'd make about the Gerbers, with the slide out plier head... is that the handles tend to pinch a bit more than the folding handle brands, and can give you a nasty blood blister if you're not careful. I currently own SOG, Gerber, Leatherman and Victorinix multitools, thanks to several friends... of them, I like the quality of the steel and the design of the Leatherman Surge the best. I have one on the boat, and one in my laptop bag or back pocket. I also use it a lot around the house, since it works very well for doing outlet and light switch box installations.

·
Anything-Sailing Founder
2,241 Posts
One point I'd make about the Gerbers, with the slide out plier head... is that the handles tend to pinch a bit more than the folding handle brands, and can give you a nasty blood blister if you're not careful.
That is my only complaint with them as I have had several such blisters.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts