SailNet Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the opportunity to leave my prospective new boat, a Cal 33, on a mooring for the winter in the Severn River. Assuming a secure mooring, proper winterization, and insurance, is this advisable? Any thoughts on this would be very much appreciated.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Is that reaaly possilde there as to my knowledge, not a very safe thing in those waters, if you did daily checking we be a must, you do mean the severn river in Ontario Canada.

·
Aeolus II
670 Posts
I suppose we need to know which Severn River...

I personally know of 3 and I am sure there are more (UK, CA and MD). I sail the Central Chesapeake Bay and keep my boat in the water year around. There have been years with ice but the boat, in a slip, did not freeze solid. BUT, I remember several years ago ice skating on the Severn and even some ice boating near Round Bay. A mooring, I would think, is much more risky. You have no way to get out to help and if there is a freeze and we get significant wind your boat could take a battering.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mooring on the Severn, River, Md.

Sorry for the lack of clarity. Severn river, near Annapolis, Md.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
It's a good point. I keep my boats in year round on LI, but always at a dock. Those that winter on moorings end up on the marsh in years with bad ice. Mine is ok at the dock, even when I can walk around her. Then too, the ice can be too thin to walk on, but too thick to row through. Then you can't go aboard.

·
Registered
5,979 Posts
Severn does ice over, I'd not advise it. There are plenty of places with room still for hauling out.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The previous owners of my sailboat keep the sailboat on a mooring off of Forked Creek in the Severn during the winter. Their longest run was 6 years. Now that I'm the owner the sailboat is on the hard at Smith's Marina for the winter. The Captain of the ASA 101 I recently took said that keeping the boat in the water for the winter is a roll of the dice. A light winter and you are okay and harsh winter and things can get bad.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Bad idea... the chances of your mooring pendant chafing through are pretty good.. :) Ice is also a problem, as is any leak, since you will be depending on batteries to keep the bilge dry. Your batteries are also going to suffer from doing so, since they can't be properly recharged on a mooring.

Haul out the boat and winterize it... I've never seen a boat on dryland sink... I've seen plenty on winter moorings sink.
I have the opportunity to leave my prospective new boat, a Cal 33, on a mooring for the winter in the Severn River. Assuming a secure mooring, proper winterization, and insurance, is this advisable? Any thoughts on this would be very much appreciated.

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
Sorry for the lack of clarity. Severn river, near Annapolis, Md.
During the sailing season, we keep our boat on a mooring a few rivers south of the Severn.

I would not leave our boat on the mooring for the winter.

Bad things happen in the winter -- gales, snowstorms, etc. If it's in the water, you really need to be able to access the boat to check on it. If the mooring gets frozen in -- very probable -- you won't be able to get to the boat at the very time when it needs to be checked most.

Even if it's not iced in, taking the dinghy out to a moored boat in winter is always a risky proposition.

Haul it or find a winter slip -- they're relatively cheap.

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
If you are in a slip you can add a deicer if it snaps cold - you would be stuck

I am in Deale, MD. Yes, 1 winter in 5 we get some ice, and 1 in 10 we get enough to pull you off your mooring, if it blows and the ice shifts.

At a marina you have the option of placing an ice melter (electric prop that pull warmer water up from the bottom and keeps it moving) under the boat if it gets nasty. Several years I have been chopping thin ice to install the melter, when sustained cold weather is coming. It then melts the water around the boat very nicely. I do not haul my boat, as I had a bad experience with snow load damage (poor blocking by the marina). I have been fine in the water... with precautions.

At a mooring, by the time there is trouble, it will be too late.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
One other point... a good snow storm could possible put enough snow on your boat to cause it serious problems... wet snow is pretty heavy stuff and a heavy storm could leave 10+ inches of it on the boat... and depress the lines enough to cause water to come aboard and finish sinking it.

·
Registered
516 Posts
New Have to have

Now this depends on what the ADMIRAL has to say,
I see it as a SAFETY thing that all responsible boatowners should have to make sure there boats are safe in the winter when the nasty white stuff comes.It will clean the white stuff off your decks and if used enough will break up the ice around your boat...Also allows for hourly cheaking of said boat IF YOU CAN GET THE ADMIRAL FROM BEHIND THE WHEEL:D

Hovercraft On An Iced Lake In Greece - Video

My Thoughts
Mark

·
Registered
22 Posts
Re: If you are in a slip you can add a deicer if it snaps cold - you would be stuck

I am in Deale, MD. Yes, 1 winter in 5 we get some ice, and 1 in 10 we get enough to pull you off your mooring, if it blows and the ice shifts.

At a marina you have the option of placing an ice melter (electric prop that pull warmer water up from the bottom and keeps it moving) under the boat if it gets nasty. Several years I have been chopping thin ice to install the melter, when sustained cold weather is coming. It then melts the water around the boat very nicely. I do not haul my boat, as I had a bad experience with snow load damage (poor blocking by the marina). I have been fine in the water... with precautions.

At a mooring, by the time there is trouble, it will be too late.
What size ice eater would you use and how big is your boat and slip? Thanks, we have our boat in Baltimore and plan to buy a deicer.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Re: If you are in a slip you can add a deicer if it snaps cold - you would be stuck

The issue not addressed is insurance. Check with your insurer to see if they cover damage caused by freezing, i.e. burst sea cocks. I learned that most insurers do not cover freezing. GET IN WRITING, not what a broker tells you. The only insurer I could find that covers it was Boat U.S.. It is a $20.00 rider. I leave mine in but it is bubbled.

·
Registered
6,678 Posts
Keep in mind that last winter, which was a nasty winter to say the least, the entire upper Chesapeake was frozen over. There was about 3 feet of ice at the marina where I keep my boat at the head of the bay, and I'm sure there was nearly that much covering the Severn River as well - more than enough to do some hull damage. And, I seriously doubt that your insurance policy would provide you with coverage for ice damage for a boat left on a mooring ball though winter in Maryland.

Gary :cool:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts