SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm about to start implementing my new retirement plan. Which is to get to someplace warm at least once a month during the winter until Spring outfitting starts. While trying avoid going through Airports as much as possible. So Friday I'm jumping on a Cruise Ship out of New York City heading to the Bahamas. It was a very reasonably priced cruise so I jumped on it. The only negative is that is leaving on a Friday which also happens to be Friday the 13th. Which may explain why it was so cheap. :) I was trying to remember why it was bad luck for sailors to leave port on a Friday? Let alone on a Friday the 13th. Wish me luck!

·
Registered
527 Posts
... The only negative is that is leaving on a Friday which also happens to be Friday the 13th. Which may explain why it was so cheap. :) I was trying to remember why it was bad luck for sailors to leave port on a Friday? Let alone on a Friday the 13th. Wish me luck!
Not to worry! It's almost a day after the full moon!

·
Registered
21,792 Posts
The “no departure” on Friday thing has a sorted past. In fact, I even understand there was a time, when it was preferred to begin a voyage on a Friday. The real myth is that the Royal Navy named a ship the HMS Friday to prove it wasn’t an issue to depart on a Friday and it sunk. Never happened.

I think these superstitions are like frat rules. They don’t make sense, nor have any real relevance, but we follow them in solidarity. There is always a ritual to receive forgiveness or absolution that involves alcohol.

·
12,201 Posts
Have a great “eating expedition” and wash your hands frequently

·
Registered
5,077 Posts
Jump on a cruise ship???? It's not like jumping on a bus or a train... So good luck with that...

I assume we will hear from you as you make your way south.

What I want to hear for starters is how much time and the details about what it took from you to get from your home to your cabin and when the ship was underway.... What was the fare? Will you take the ship back or is the cruise the whole deal?

·
bell ringer
4,815 Posts
I turned 13 on a Friday the 13th and I'm still around.

I think Friday the 13th is only bad luck if you are Templar Knight from Oct 13, 1307. Nothing to do with boating.

·
Master Mariner
8,386 Posts
When I left Frisco on my circumnavigation, 7-7-70, I heeded a lot of the superstition stuff, like leaving port on a Friday, never put a hat on a berth and later the banana and catching fish one. Never knew the background for these and disproved the fishing one solidly. I even went so far as to acquire a gold coin to put under Seafarer's mast with the double eagle that was already under there, when I restepped the mast in NZ.
My wife brought it up a month or so back and I realized I'd completely forgot all about the Friday one, probably because when you are chartering you don't get to choose your departure day. However, to this day, I go to great lengths to see that there is no hat on a berth. Haven't figured out if it's bad luck for the boat, hat's owner or the hat, but there it is.

Reactions: mbianka

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow! Short retirement!

Can to post photos as you sink, please?
I paid extra to have a high speed Internet connection so I might actually be able to post a video. :)
I'm also bringing my floating VHF handheld with GPS just in case too. :)

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The “no departure” on Friday thing has a sorted past. In fact, I even understand there was a time, when it was preferred to begin a voyage on a Friday. The real myth is that the Royal Navy named a ship the HMS Friday to prove it wasn’t an issue to depart on a Friday and it sunk. Never happened.

I think these superstitions are like frat rules. They don’t make sense, nor have any real relevance, but we follow them in solidarity. There is always a ritual to receive forgiveness or absolution that involves alcohol.
Interesting. I thought that one of the reasons leaving port on Friday was that Jesus died on a Friday. So he would not be out there protecting the mariners on that day.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Have a great “eating expedition” and wash your hands frequently
Indeed. I'll be scouting out which restaurants are having Prime Rib which nights. Planing to swim twice a day and use the stairs as much as possible to work some of it off. As for the hand washing they have crew at the entrance to the buffet restaurant singing: "Washy Washy! Good for you good for me." as a reminder.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Jump on a cruise ship???? It's not like jumping on a bus or a train... So good luck with that...

I assume we will hear from you as you make your way south.

What I want to hear for starters is how much time and the details about what it took from you to get from your home to your cabin and when the ship was underway.... What was the fare? Will you take the ship back or is the cruise the whole deal?
Getting on the LIRR into Penn Station and then a quick cab ride up to the Cruise Ship Piers. So nice not to have to go through an airport for a change. Fare started at $649 for a balcony stateroom. But, with paying a single supplement, taxes, tips it ended up around $1500. But, I get to dine free at three of the specialty restaurants on board. My choice. They also threw in unlimited drink package. I'm not drinking much these days but, even a few mocktails like an LLB can add up. But, I expect I'll be stopping at the Mojito bar or one of the seven others on occasion. :) Maybe enjoy a double Baileys on the balcony at night keeping a eye out for any red flares. Got a few other perks too. Ship is coming back to New York (at least that's the plan) where I will then jump on a train to Washington DC for the holiday.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
When I left Frisco on my circumnavigation, 7-7-70, I heeded a lot of the superstition stuff, like leaving port on a Friday, never put a hat on a berth and later the banana and catching fish one. Never knew the background for these and disproved the fishing one solidly. I even went so far as to acquire a gold coin to put under Seafarer's mast with the double eagle that was already under there, when I restepped the mast in NZ.
My wife brought it up a month or so back and I realized I'd completely forgot all about the Friday one, probably because when you are chartering you don't get to choose your departure day. However, to this day, I go to great lengths to see that there is no hat on a berth. Haven't figured out if it's bad luck for the boat, hat's owner or the hat, but there it is.
I was aware of the coin under the mast. The hat on a berth is a new one for me. I certainly violated that when sometimes taking naps.

·
Master Mariner
8,386 Posts
I was aware of the coin under the mast. The hat on a berth is a new one for me. I certainly violated that when sometimes taking naps.
I never considered it to include if you were wearing the hat. lol

·
Senior Citizen
434 Posts
Interesting. I thought that one of the reasons leaving port on Friday was that Jesus died on a Friday. So he would not be out there protecting the mariners on that day.
Jesus died on Friday and rose on Sunday 2000 years ago. He is now available to answer your call 24/7.

"Everyone who calls on the name of the LORD will be saved."

Remember that as you enter the Bermuda Triangle.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Jesus died on Friday and rose on Sunday 2000 years ago. He is now available to answer your call 24/7.

"Everyone who calls on the name of the LORD will be saved."

Remember that as you enter the Bermuda Triangle.
Good to know. So far we were delayed two hours getting underway because the currents coming down the Hudson River were exceptionally strong. At the muster the Captain came on the PA and said there is a strong system coming off of the U.S. near Cape Hatteras. He expects strong winds and seas starting at 9 AM tomorrow until 12 midnight. I checked on Windy.com and it looks like 30 to 40 knots. Should be fun on board and expect there will be less people at the Buffet due to sea sickness. BONUS!

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I paid extra to have a high speed Internet connection so I might actually be able to post a video. :)
I'm also bringing my floating VHF handheld with GPS just in case too. :)
Scratch the VHF. Went to the boatyard to do a check on the boat and pick up the VHF. Got the VHF but, picked up the wrong incompatible charger. Note to self: Always put on glasses and verify when picking up things.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts