SailNet Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We need to replace our old bubble-style sidelights, and we want sealed LED units (not LED bulbs).

They're mounted horizontally on teak pads. It looks like the only nav lights with that mounting system are the cheaper ones -- Perko, Attwood -- designed for powerboats. Are they robust enough for offshore use?

If not, we'll have to figure out some way to mount vertical lights, like the Lopolights or Orca Green Marine ones. We both hate the reflections caused when they're mounted on the bow pulpit.

Has anyone had experience with this?

·
Registered
476 Posts
I found Perko sidelights robust enough, but the question should be if they're compliant for your boat model/size/use. In my oppinion, the pulpit reflection is a sure they're working properly, and more visible (for my boat model) ....

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
I think the AquaSignal 32 series would work for you. :)

·
Registered
323 Posts
I have also been switching my boat over to LED bulbs, but I came across some info in "The Practical Mariner's Book Of Knowledge" concerning lights. It states that colored glass absorbs 85-90% of the light from a bulb, and it recommends that you use the brightest lights that your boat can power for Nav lights. I would imagine that using a colored LED bulb inside a clear lens might give you the brightest set up. Just food for thought.

Good luck, Bill

·
Registered
361 Posts
We need to replace our old bubble-style sidelights, and we want sealed LED units (not LED bulbs).
They're mounted horizontally on teak pads. It looks like the only nav lights with that mounting system are the cheaper ones
The Lopolight 300-008 and -009 are horizontal mounts. Could they fit? The Lopolight is a glorious product if you can find a way.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts