SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
A word of caution when replacing incandescent bulbs with LEDs. I converted most of my interior lighting to LEDs last year, using the packaged LEDs, like SensiBulb, from Defender. These were not cheap, but the power efficiency was compelling.

Well, last year my boat took a direct lightning hit. There was a long list of electronic and electrical things that didn't work after the strike. That list included every LED that I had installed. The least of my worries was the LEDs, but there is a lesson to be learned here. If you are replacing incandescents with LEDs, save the old bulbs! If you should have a lightning event away from your home dock, at least you'll be able to restore your lighting.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Semiconductors have a relatively low breakdown voltage. A lighting strike--even if it is not a direct hit--can electrify your wiring (electromagnetic pulse effect) with a short, high voltage spike. Once you exceed the semiconductor breakdown voltage your electronics are toast.

The only good news in a lightning strike is that it is a very brief electrical event. If you have a direct hit, you will have some serious problems, but in a near hit, you may get a weaker side discharge or radiative coupling that is too brief to heat things to the melting point, including wiring and tungsten filaments, but brings a high voltage surge that is fatal to semiconductors.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.