SailNet Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
LED''''s vs. Incandenscent Bulbs for Running Lights??

Hi Folks,
Is anyone aware of a commercial source for LED "clusters" that would be suitable for running lights? I''ve seen the Davis LED clusters, but they are very directional, and wouldn''t radiate in a circle (or semi circle) necessary for correct visibility on a running light.

Thanks,
Jeff

·
Registered
3,867 Posts

We use an LED for our compass light, and find it''s great. Are any made big enough to be a running light, however, with USCG visibility distance requirements?

·
Registered
994 Posts

The Davis lights are either made by Deep Creek Design or made by Davis under license from Deep Creek. Check out Deep Creek''s website. If they don''t have what you are looking for, they may be able to make something for you custon

·
Registered
994 Posts

Whilst I am here in the UK, I am currently researching the type of LED lights used on cycles which are in GREEN, RED and WHITE, they are also water-proof and can be seen over 600 mtrs. My initial reason was 1. Emergency only 2. used on my dink. [I have been sailing in the Bahamas for 22 months and NIGHT dinking is dangerous].

·
Registered
60 Posts

Jeff,
The LEDs by Deep Creek and Davis are arranged in arrays around the perimeter. Thus, they should radiate in the right direction with the required visibility.

However, these lights are not USCG certified. That is, while they easily fulfill the visibility requirements, they might cause you some headache if you cruise in the US and get hit by a lawsuit (example: dumbass PWC hits you in anchorage but hires the right contingency lawyer).

I like the design and I really like the amp draw of the Deep Creek stuff since it allows the use of very thin wires going up the mast - less weight and lower amp draw but you pay for it! Furthermore, the deep creek masthead anchorage lights turn off w/daylight, so you never have to remember to turn them off in the morning.

The SMT LEDs they are using these days are going to allow them to create all sorts of interesting and thin shapes. In the future, commercially available LEDs may even surpass the luminosity efficiency of flourescents (lumens per watt)

·
Registered
994 Posts
There have been huge advances in LED technology in the five years since the last post on this topic on this forum. From what Google is finding me, there appears to be a good and increasing selection of LED Navigation Lights.

In the next few months, I will be into the minute details of specifying equipment for the boat that I am having built, and I am seriously considering specifying LED, both inside and out.

Have any of you fitted LED Navigation Lights on your boats? Or do you know of any boaters who have? What experience do you have with them?

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
Orca Green Marine and Lopolights both make USCG approved 2-NM navigation lights.

I have the Orca Green masthead tricolor/anchor/strobe unit. Very nice, and very low current draw. Although the strobe isn't strictly legal...I'd rather have it as a warning option to attract attention than not...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts