SailNet Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Starting to look at late model 35-37 ft. boats, most have in-mast furling mains. One Catalina 36 has a leisure furl boom. I see them on a lot of larger custom boats. I've watched their video enough times that I'm starting to believe it. Who doesn't like theirs ? Does it work as advertised ?

·
Registered
7,220 Posts
Only issues are
Need to get angle just right to work
Need to totally unload main and head up to work
If your halyard breaks you have a whole lot of loose mainsail on your deck
Difficult if not impossible to do any shaping of sail once reefed.

·
Registered
7,220 Posts
Personally think in mast is just plain dangerous
More weight aloft
If jams and in a blow you're screwed. Can't get it in or out. More important to get any sail down.
Disagree about shaping. Lose shape even with vertical battens but always have an " out haul" function". Still,lose halyard tension control.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts

After using Version 1 the HOOD STOBOOM for 3 years ;)

I realize i am taking my like in my hands with such a poor item BUT we WOULD NEVER be without one and it has worked perfectly

Its not like you can just tuck a reef in a normal mainsail going downwind in 25+ knots

·
Registered
44 Posts
We have Leisure Furl in boom on both main and mizzen... they are awesome, take a little getting used to though. Unlimited reef points, no safety issues with dousing sail, good sail shape, they actually make the whole rig stronger because of the gooseneck. Will never go back. Downside... well we could have bought a second nice smaller boat for the money spent.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Hey tb I'm going to give you some info here even though you have posted snarkey to me in the past . I have sailed on Leisure Furl boats . Five people I know have them , one guy could not get his to work and he went back to the original set up from Catalina, he has a 32'. The other guys like theirs but have trouble ,like can't get it to reef right the first time . So you ,I would say practice with it . Also everybody got his with one of those electric winch grinders , that's a nice piece of equipment , keep it charged up .

·
Registered
44 Posts
It does take some practice, but is simple enough. I have no idea why anyone couldn't get it to work?? Can't say that we've had any problems and we have two of them LOL.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Hi Mr Caos, the guy I know who could not get it to work ..... Can't get other things to work on his boat either. It just takes practice like you say.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for your comments gentlemen, I do manage to keep my Dutchman tuned so it works properly so not afraid of systems requiring some finesse if they work.
I don't remember posting anything at all to you Mark, sure you don't have me confused with someone else ?

·
Registered
7,220 Posts
When looking at this Schaefer had a lot to offer. With tract sail could angulate better. Less friction and sensitivity to being dead upwind. They have two units. Big one OK for up to mid40s depending on size of mainsail

1 - 14 of 14 Posts