SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I seem to remember seeing a boat that had the head in the aft quarter where the galley would normally be. Was this production? or custom? I have been searching for pics of small boats for awhile and lost the one I had. It really opened up the living space a lot.

Anyone?

Scott

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
It's gotten pretty common.. Two that come to mind are:

Hunter 27
Catalina 28

Good luck:

David

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
Pacific Seacraft Flicka (20', later models beginning around 1984/85), Pacific Seacraft Dana 24', Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 (see below).

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
We're real good at answering questions that require just a bit of experience, and no thought :D

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
Jeanneau arcadia/attalia/fantasia,sun way 28, 29, sun dream 28, sunway 30, sun Odyssey 26, 28, 30, 29.2, 29, to name a few from this manufacture. The Arcadia, sundream 28, sunway 28 are the same hull/floorplan, different deck configs by Tony Castro. I own an Arcadia.

I believe there was a Bene or two also. Dufour may have an older model this way too. This plan started in Europe more than N America, so look at european made boats over most US/Canada build boats.

marty

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nice. Thanks for the pics. They help. I like a lot of these setups, though for some reason the oday looks pretty cool to me.
Scott

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
The O'day is actually a pretty decent boat.

Be wary though on the aft head setup however..Usually on boats less than 32 feet - the heads lack alot of headroom and placement aft when not a beamy boat - you loose alot of interior space. Its not because of design, just that in order to do so - the practicality of aft head - butted up to the cockpit - the space behind is just locker space.

Secondly - the galley is best when it is located a bit aft. Easier to come down below when sailing to grab bevs or cook...Selecting a boat is all about comprises naturally, but think about the amount of time you will use a feature versus placement. If you start looking at something like a beamier 30 - 32 (consider the Catalina - roomy for the design and they have aft head configs that actually make sense) - you'll find a better match to your preferences.

Personally, I find 22's - 27's great day sailors, but knowing a little bit about you - consider a 30 / 34 foot for you and your family as it will make your experience as a boat owner much more pleasurable all the way around. The freeboard difference really isn't that much more - and you'll get the family in a boat that is a bit more comfortable.

You had this Saturdays experience with me - you can't be intimidated by the wind as far as docking etc - if we would of had a smaller boat - the results would of been the same due to the lighter displacement.

Just an observation as you set out. I started with a 27 but I was solo sailor and sometimes guests. When I had guests - literally had to walk around people and forget about sleepovers - v-berths on anything less than 30' are cramped even for a well equipped married couple.

Especially in this market - you'll get more bang for you buck going a bit larger. And, I'll even let you practice the docking on mine if that helps get ya going before hand. David did the same for me actually - and squelched my fear of owning big boat to a good degree.

My advice is just that advice - but had I had a do-over - I would of bought a 30-34 for my first boat considering what I enjoy doing when sailing and that is the weekends / sailing with groups. Hence why I have the Barberis 38 as its big enough to satisfy those needs but still manageable with limited or no crew once you realize what you can and can not do (and Saturday was the exception as personally I was thinking of calling it off once I got down to the boat - and would never attempt that going solo - much less in a smaller boat)....

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
So Jody,

What trouble did you cause this weekend? Or do we REALLY want to know?!?!?!?!

Scot,

If you open the size range into the 30-35' range, you will probably find a few more aft head/2cabin arraingments. Some even have 3 cabins, but they get kinda cramped with an aft head, ie the head does.

How many are in your family? I will concur to some degree Jody's thoughts on the 27-30' boats, as my 30' listed, but really about a 28'r can get a bit small with a few folks on it. Are you near edmonds? if so you can pop onto my boat for a look see too. The Attalia is 2' longer, than my Arcadia, IIRC there is one local for sale too. Need to remember where. WHat is budget? there is a Jeanneau SO35 aft head in Vancouver, but that is in the low 100K range. A C&C 99 in Everett for 99K.

There is a Jeanneau fantasia in Bellingham for about 15-17K IIRC.

Marty

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
So Jody,

What trouble did you cause this weekend? Or do we REALLY want to know?!?!?!?!

Scot,

If you open the size range into the 30-35' range, you will probably find a few more aft head/2cabin arraingments. Some even have 3 cabins, but they get kinda cramped with an aft head, ie the head does.

How many are in your family? I will concur to some degree Jody's thoughts on the 27-30' boats, as my 30' listed, but really about a 28'r can get a bit small with a few folks on it. Are you near edmonds? if so you can pop onto my boat for a look see too. The Attalia is 2' longer, than my Arcadia, IIRC there is one local for sale too. Need to remember where. WHat is budget? there is a Jeanneau SO35 aft head in Vancouver, but that is in the low 100K range. A C&C 99 in Everett for 99K.

There is a Jeanneau fantasia in Bellingham for about 15-17K IIRC.

Marty
Ha ha ha... oh it was good once we got out of the slip. We had northerlies and you having stayed in my slip - it can be a bit hairy... We got blown laterally down between the M & N piers... could not turn as the wind just pinned the fore and no steerage. We worked around it by using a 50 foot line - leaving Brian on the dock to pull the bow around as I went reverse - then picked him up on the break water side...Winds were constant 25-28 with 10-15 gusts... but we got it done and sailed the rest of the afternoon 1/3 rolled out genoa and double reefs... good times - but had to be managed ...

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
Oh such joy! No sailing untill the weekend for me, sitting in anacortes at ferry terminal to head to crane island to work until wed or thursday, then home, cleanup, and take boat to Tacoma.......so hopefully the new line control carrs work next weekend! Weather forcast is looking reasonably good for sat.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts