Hey Dave, I think what Julie meant is that many new sailors look onto the posts of well experienced sailors And might follow their advice. I would hope anyone would research it themselves, and I am not an expert on these storms, but I do try to be cautious about what I say. I believe most others have done the same, as well as yourself. Just an err to caution might be advised.Jeffs post is spot on. Well said
Oh come on.....
I shouldnt have to feel the need to defend myself for making my decision based on the facts right in front of me. I have been forced to by otherds who ahve criticisised what I did unecessarily. Why would I include any caveats like "I made the decision I did because of the information I had available to me. This is not the right decision for all."
Julie, Maybe your posts concerning the Captain of the Bounty should also include the same caveat declaration like I beleive the Captain of the Bounty was irresponsible and "I made the decision I did because of the information I had available to me. This is not the right decision for all."
Maybe those of us who singlehand should put a caveat about singlehanding after all neubies are listening and its a safety topic.
What I interpret this statement is you are saying people who stayed in their boats are setting a bad example in an attempted politically correct way. I dont agree with the premise.
This was not a Cat2 or 3. I Have been through 5 or 6 of them on land and cant even imagine staying on a boat. I would have acted differently .
So let me ask the ultimate question here.....how many people on this thread that spent time on their boats....and there were a few here and on CF....got hurt or died??????????
Why is that you ask.... because those of us who did either had to and were very diligent to monitor the storm, the storms intensity never was a s bad in our quadrant, if we were in a bad part of the storm, we knew we had enough experuience to ride it out as we had no choices. or lastly, those who didnt have the experience, were in a bad part of the storm and knew they were putting themselves in too much jeopardy...tied up , got pulled or left their boats and went to higher ground. That doesnt also mean in retrospect like Jeff we wished we had done some things differently
I have yet to hear from anyone who stayed abourd, and I was one, tell others that this is the ultimate correct way to handle the situation. None of us feel that way. I felt secure enough that I had an alternative to get to higher ground immediately to make the decision I did.
One of the things I found from being on board was that there were lulls and time to adjust things and add chafe. The wind especially came in spurts not all the time. The rocking of the boat and the fact that there were two lines at every point made it possible to take the starin off of some the lines which had been taking the brunt. In my case specifically the wind clocked around 270 degrees allowing me to slacken the leeward side line to allow the boat to stabilize as the tide rose above normal at the last 12 high tides. I was able to position my boat somewhat in the first 12 hours so the wind blew right at my bow, thuis putting less stress on the lines ( kind of like what would happen at anchor. I was able to add and adjust cafe gear. I now know with the increase or decrease in tides that a 3 foot length of chafe gear on each line is inadequate if you are not going to stay and adjust lines in a larger blow. In my instandce as I reported through the storm the winds blew 45 stead for almost 16 hours...gusted to 65/68 also. It was probably the limit of my being able to adjust under pressure.
Btw, u mentioned you have done some major hurricanes. Were you in Florida or otherwise? I am assuming you didn't get Charlie. Ivan maybe or Katrina? Ivan was a bear.