SailNet Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Tartan 37
5,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm looking for ideas for protecting our new dingy, an Achilles 280 LX. I've been using a Taylor Made cover when on the davits, but its really a PITA to put on, plus it offers nothing after its removed and we go ashore to protect it from pilings, bulkheads, etc.

The admiral is going to make one this winter, we're wondering what you did...I'm thinking something like this? Thoughts...

·
Telstar 28
43,289 Posts
Those are often referred to as dinghy chaps... and will help prolong the life of your dinghy quite a bit. Be careful not to have the outside edge too low, since that will affect the boat's movement by causing drag.

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,842 Posts
Wow, that looks impressive. We don't do anything and after only 1 year it shows. It's even leaking slowly out of one of the chambers -- after only 10 months. (I wonder if there's a warranty from Achilles or Defender.)

Our dink is flipped upside down on the dock right now.

Regards,
Brad

·
old guy :)
1,061 Posts
I made my own. It attaches at the normal points and we leave it on all the time.

To use the dingy I un-snap the clips at the back and roll it forward. When we go to shore - it closes easily and quickly and keeps eveything covered and dry. Going back to the boat, if it is raining or spraying, it keeps groceries and sometimes my wife a bit more dry by pulling it up and ducking under it.

I used green Cordora.

Rik

·
11,797 Posts
Donna made a custom extension cover from a pre bought Taylor one reinforcing the slits the davit straps fit through when attached to them. She lengthened the open end so that when on ther davits we can pull the bottom togerther aso it doesnt blow off the tubes end when a wind gust could get under it. We religously keep it covered on the davits and the cover shows major fading already from the sun in two years which would have been the dinghy material instead if not used.

We inflate a $1 beach ball and put it inside the dinghy before the cover so there is a slope and the rain will run off the cover instead of pooling. Tyhe "chaps " are neat but wouldnt prevent the dinghy from filling with water in a rain where the cover does.

We have two small fenders when we dock,

Dave

·
Telstar 28
43,289 Posts
There's a big difference between a cover, which needs to be removed before you can use the dinghy and a set of dinghy chaps, which are designed to kept on the dinghy, even while in use.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts