SailNet Community banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We were recently gave a nice radar system for a wedding gift. JRC 1800 radar chartplotter. Now I'm trying to figure out the best mounting options. Backstay, pole mount or mast mount, all seen to have there draw backs. I'm not happy about the thought of drilling holes in my mast, putting extra stress on my backstay or having an extra pole in my way at the stern.
The sticker shock on the mounts are crazy, $600 for a simple mast mount. $2000 for a backstay mount. Surly there are better options. At these prices it seems like you could pay a fabricator to do it cheaper.
Thoughts and suggestions?

·
Registered
712 Posts
http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/162609-radar-talk.html

I asked this question a few months ago. Lots of good answers. Although expensive, I'm going with the pole mount. Don't want to unstep the mast and not going to drill a hole in the cabin top for wires! The backstay mount looks like a pain in the rear also... same price as a pole.

Dave

·
Registered
7,213 Posts
Had fixed mount on mast on a T37. Worked fine but with rail down might miss very clos targets to windward and far to leeward.
Had tube on back stay when I had a PSC. PIA if you ever dropped the stick and not really high enough if offshore.
Now have gimballed and damped mast mount. Best ever. Suggest do it this way if you can.

·
Master Mariner
9,225 Posts
When adding a Garmin 18 to my boat I checked out radar mounts and in the end, bit the bullet and bought a premanufactured unit. The torque of the radar some 40 feet up in a heavy seaway must be extreme, and I really didn't feel like taking a chance with a 'better mousetrap'. I also wanted the range the mast mount gives over a pole mount.
The hole configuration is also designed to minimize strength loss to the mast, so you shouldn't worry about the holes in the mast.

·
Banned
12,357 Posts
We have a Garhauer pole on the stern. Doubles as a engine hoist which is detachable. Also allowed me to clean up other antennas ( GPS and Tv) as well as put my stern light on it.

Reactions: christian.hess

·
Registered
794 Posts
While mine is mast mounted I am a great fan of Garhauer equipment and the double use of the pole as an engine lift is very valuable...

We also use our engine lift as our MOB lift. Ours lift is well clear of the stern and works excellently for lifting people.

Phil

·
Tundra Down
1,290 Posts
Simple enough to build a pole mount. I followed Rik Hall's example here on Sailnet and with scrounged aluminum plate it cost me the welder's time. Under $100.00. Works fine. Is high enough for our coastal needs. It doubles as a hoist mount and an antenna platform. I think I will mount a small flood light on it, too.

Down

·
19,485 Posts
We had a stern post made as well.. Didn't like the idea of dragging the headsail across a radome on every tack. Also, we 'inherited' a small JRC radar and cable length dictated a stern mount so that I could mount the (radar only) display at the helm, where I thought it would be most useful. Could never understand the rationale of having a radar display below at the nav stn. Of course with today's combined plotter/radar displays that issue has disappeared.

Our post is mounted to the toerail and braced to the pulpit - custom made and mainly just cost us materials and a welder friend's time.

Reactions: christian.hess

·
Registered
712 Posts
We had a stern post made as well.. Didn't like the idea of dragging the headsail across a radome on every tack. Also, we 'inherited' a small JRC radar and cable length dictated a stern mount so that I could mount the (radar only) display at the helm, where I thought it would be most useful. Could never understand the rationale of having a radar display below at the nav stn. Of course with today's combined plotter/radar displays that issue has disappeared.

Our post is mounted to the toerail and braced to the pulpit - custom made and mainly just cost us materials and a welder friend's time.
Ron,

Next time you're down to the boat and remember, will you take a picture of your pole installation for me. I'm doing the same thing this winter and would like some ideas for install. Thanks.

Dave

·
19,485 Posts
Can do, Dave..

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
Simple enough to build a pole mount. I followed Rik Hall's example here on Sailnet and with scrounged aluminum plate it cost me the welder's time. Under $100.00. Works fine. Is high enough for our coastal needs. It doubles as a hoist mount and an antenna platform. I think I will mount a small flood light on it, too.

Down
looks good AND as usual nice islander lines!:)

Reactions: downeast450

·
Banned
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Down
Looks like this is the way to go. Great idea of adding a hoist mount also, we need one. I do have access to scrap aluminum and a good fab shop. Time to go take some measurements.

·
Registered
6,689 Posts
Radar mounts for masts are ridiculously overpriced for what they are. that's why I intend to construct my own. The antenna weighs next to nothing - just 30 pounds, there's really not a lot of strain on the mast and the dome is just 19 inches on the Lowrance 3G system.

I already have a pole on the stern quarter of the boat, similar to the one in the above photos, only mine is much heavier. Currently I have a TV antenna mounted on it. Previously, it had a wind generator mounted on it that weighed a lot more than the radome.

It would not take a lot of material to construct a simple, swiveling mast mount bracket.

Good luck,

Gary :cool:

·
Tundra Down
1,290 Posts
Looks like this is the way to go. Great idea of adding a hoist mount also, we need one. I do have access to scrap aluminum and a good fab shop. Time to go take some measurements.
Rik's measurements for the dome mount's base. I changed it a little from this.

The main pole is 2" sch 40 aluminum pipe.

Thanks again, Rik.

Down

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
I fitted a backstay mount in the summer. Not cheap, indeed very expensive, but it is out of the way of the new windvane system (the old pole was in the way) and I can now take the radar down for maintenance fairly easily.

·
Tundra Down
1,290 Posts
Whats the link to this? Any more drawings? That design is strong. A better pole at a cheaper price..... Thanks....
Other than deciding how high you want your dome, these are all the measurements. I made the mounts and supports specifically for my boat. They appear in the original photos, attached to pieces of stock used for fitting.

rikhall is a clever guy. He is a member of Sailnet and has some excellent projects scattered throughout these posts.

Down

·
Banned
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Other than deciding how high you want your dome, these are all the measurements. I made the mounts and supports specifically for my boat. They appear in the original photos, attached to pieces of stock used for fitting.

rikhall is a clever guy. He is a member of Sailnet and has some excellent projects scattered throughout these posts.

Down
Cool, so the pivit plate mounts on the transom and the pole attaches to the back rail with a u bolt? Is this the idea? Thanks

1 - 19 of 19 Posts