SailNet Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, not exactly, it clicks when I turn the drum but when I put a winch handle in and crank the handle, nothing happens either way. Any idea what broke in there?

I tried to find a service kit but no luck does anyone know of a source for parts for a #8?

Thanks...

·
Registered
139 Posts
Sounds like the pawls are not engaging so that could be a broken pawl spring, or maybe they are stuck open in old sticky grease? Either way just pop the top off and have a look, may be a good idea to clean and then grease the winch while you're at it, lewmar's website has instructions. Just did all 4 of mine, it's a messy job.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like the pawls are not engaging so that could be a broken pawl spring, or maybe they are stuck open in old sticky grease? Either way just pop the top off and have a look, may be a good idea to clean and then grease the winch while you're at it, lewmar's website has instructions. Just did all 4 of mine, it's a messy job.
Yeah I'll bet they are filthy. Thanks, I'll open it and see what I can see in there.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I know there's 2 in a single speed.. I think there's 4 in a 2 speed..
just take it slow, it doesn't explode like a pocketwatch with the back popped off...
the best advice about this I've heard :
cut a hole in the bottom of a shoebox that is larger than the winch..
tape it to the deck, around the winch..
have at it, it'll be tough to lose parts !!

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
I know there's 2 in a single speed.. I think there's 4 in a 2 speed..
just take it slow, it doesn't explode like a pocketwatch with the back popped off...
the best advice about this I've heard :
cut a hole in the bottom of a shoebox that is larger than the winch..
tape it to the deck, around the winch..
have at it, it'll be tough to lose parts !!
That's what I did the first time we took ours apart. I'd probably do it again, especially if I was doing it over the water but the truth is that winches aren't gonna fly apart.

That said the only thing that might take flight is a pawl spring.

Taking them apart, cleaning and regreasing them may get them working again but pawl springs are cheap so you might as well replace them while you're at it.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys, I ordered the parts kits and some grease and oil. I'll tackle the mess this weekend ;)

·
Irrationally Exuberant
1,432 Posts
Actually, I think you'll enjoy it. Something satisfying about cleaning and lubing a simple machine like that.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Actually, I think you'll enjoy it. Something satisfying about cleaning and lubing a simple machine like that.
I'm sure you're right, I like rebuilding engines also.

What would you guys recommend for cleaning the old filthy contaminated grease?

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sounds like the pawls are not engaging so that could be a broken pawl spring, or maybe they are stuck open in old sticky grease?
The springs were fine, but there was so much crud, dirt, dried salt and such in there that the pawls were sticking in place. There was nothing left that could be recognized as having been grease.

My wife and I spent nearly two hours cleaning crap out of the drum, bearings and gears on the stem. Then I put a thin layer of grease on the stem, put the bearings on, put a thin film of grease on the bearings, then a thin film on the inside of the drum. I used oil on the pawls, but I did put a little grease on the gears. Probably should not have done that.

Anyhow, now its clean so servicing again next Spring should be easy enough. Now I have three more to do...

Oh, this Lewmar #8 single speed had four pawls, two at the top and two at the bottom. The rebuild kit came with 4 pawls and 4 springs, but also 4 circlips and a bunch of other things. I think I'll just order more pawls and springs for the other winches.

Thanks for the help everyone!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts