SailNet Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Master Mariner
8,968 Posts
Oh no, say it isn't so! Does this mean I have to replace my wonderful, classic kapok life jackets? They've served me so well for over 50 years and they hardly absorb any water at all. Well, perhaps a tad more than they should, but hey, what's a little bit of water when you're bobbing around in the middle of an ocean, waiting for rescue?

Reactions: RichH

·
baDumbumbum
1,142 Posts
Whew. That's a relief. I've been wearing one of each Type, I-V, just to make sure I was compliant. It becomes difficult to move your arms.

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,645 Posts
I don't see why Roman Numerals should be any problem. Like I keep telling the nice ladies at DMV, on the eye test. I don't read or speak Arabic, I want Roman Numerals if they expect me to read that chart.

·
Closet Powerboater
3,925 Posts
I don't see why Roman Numerals should be any problem. Like I keep telling the nice ladies at DMV, on the eye test. I don't read or speak Arabic, I want Roman Numerals if they expect me to read that chart.
I always knew you'd end up in some undisclosed federal holding facility... Until now I just never knew how it would happen. ;)

MedSailor

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,645 Posts
Just don't tell the USCG that my PFD is a Crewfit. Crewfit doesn't give a hoot about the USCG, it is UK and EU certified only. Which is only fair, since the USCG didn't certify inflatables of any kind, other than water wings, when this vest was made.

You know, if you don't mind bland food and orange coveralls, these Federal facilities really aren't as bad as Michelin rates them!

·
Registered
220 Posts
capta you kid about the Kapok vests but you would be surprised at how many of these I see during surveys. I would say 1 out of every 5-6 boats I look at have at least one Kapok vest aboard. It amazes me that people will rely on a 50 year old vest when a new one costs less than 10 bucks!

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,645 Posts
People who are carrying 50 year old vests probably are only relying on them to meet the rules. As opposed to carrying them for any other reason.

Perhaps if Louis Vuitton offered a line of vests, in this year's colors?

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,645 Posts
Not so much that, but a surprising number of people know they will live forever. Same as with seat belts. Most people wear them because "its the law" not because it might save their lives.

Me? I think the law stinks, if folks don't want safety, that's between them and Darwin. No need to interfere.

·
Closet Powerboater
3,925 Posts
Not so much that, but a surprising number of people know they will live forever. Same as with seat belts. Most people wear them because "its the law" not because it might save their lives.

Me? I think the law stinks, if folks don't want safety, that's between them and Darwin. No need to interfere.
At the risk of going off topic, i COMPLETELY agree in principle but TOTALLY disagree in practice.

The folks who don't wear seatbelts and helmets don't always go to Darwin. They often end up in nursing homes with head injuries and the tax payer footing the bill for their diapers.

Sponge bath anyone??

Medsailor

·
Registered
220 Posts
The thing about life vests is they are more for the passengers than the skipper or capt. Few boats are run solo and when guests come aboard they rely on the skipper to have the right safety gear. Unfortunately it requires laws to make sure the skippers do what is right. These laws sadly are based on past tragedies that resulted in loss of life because the skippers did not have the right gear. The seat belt analogy really does not work here unless the boat never leaves the dock with anyone other than the skipper.

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,645 Posts
Med-
I agree with you in principle, but I think that's confusing the issues. What our freedoms should be, and what the consequences of them will be, are two different issues. Yes, medical care after unsafe behavior is an issue. But that can also be sorted out separately. For instance, you want to smoke ciggys? OK, fine, smoke 'em if you got 'em. But your insurer will also be allowed to reject any claims for asthma or congestive heart failure, and the ER will be allowed to turn you away. There are ways to promote or reward [ir]responsibility, without going to the nanny state and removing all freedoms.
Heck, I know some people that shouldn't be allowed to have kitchen knives, much less sharpened pencils.(G)

Sailvayu-
Good point that life vests are there for more than the owner/operator. But when's the last time you went for a ride in someone's car, without checking the tires or their license and insurance? Same same. If I got in a car without seat belts...maybe an early 'vette? That's my choice too, isn't it?

The logical process says that if people want a nanny state, they should have the freedom to choose whatever color they want. For the rubber padding in their room. All the rest should be a matter of reward and incentive, not compulsion, IMO.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts