SailNet Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
After a recent lifeline issue, this afternoon I replaced my upper lifelines. I removed the lowers, should I bother replacing or just stay with uppers only?
I have been coughs by the lowers a couple of times racing in heavy weather.
I you know that you want fall and slide on a sloping deck - just don't bother to install.
But if you ca avoid one mob situation is worth the money in my book.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Yes, you want lowers. Pretty common to go scooting under. Doubles your chances of catching hold of something. Holds the sails on deck better too.

·
Registered
4,455 Posts
I look around the marina, and probably 80% of boats only have an upper. I expect I'll end up fitting a lower anyway.
This is one of those times when the 80% is wrong. Toe rails too. It is sliding that I would worry about.

·
Remember you're a womble
2,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I mostly singlehand, coastal/inshore in fairly protected waters, and daysailing I get the choice of going out in snorty weather or not. Anyway, I have made and fitted a new set of lifelines, uppers and lowers, in fancy high-tech line. That 12 strand stuff is so easy to splice.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.