SailNet Community banner

Do you believe that the LifeSling should be taught to new sailors?

• Yes - Instruct new sailors how to use the LifeSling

Votes: 32 91.4%
  • No - Do not bother showing new sailors how to use the LifeSling

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • What is COB?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
81 - 83 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
first thing to do is mark the area on plotter if possible and tossing over a few red and yellow floaty cushions, the MOB pole with ring, then drop sails and fire up engine, depending on wave size a figure 8 might be harder then you think (risking boat and remaining crew) trying to keep your eyes on COB is already uber hard on a semi nice day, but full blown storm, limited viz and its gonna take every once of composure to get turned and close to COB. the life sling does offer an advantage that once close enough a disconnect from main sheeting and COB can be hoisted up using boom as fulcrum point. Im 210 lbs dry my wife is 100 lbs wet so no way in hell is she gonna get me out. I jump in and have the wife practice picking me up on calm days and 1-3 foot chop (lake Ontario) with a nice breeze, she gets pissed everytime i do it but this summer past she actually got to me and didnt run me over. Man over board is the scarriest training a couple can do.

·
11,735 Posts
first thing to do is mark the area on plotter if possible and tossing over a few red and yellow floaty cushions, the MOB pole with ring, then drop sails and fire up engine, depending on wave size a figure 8 might be harder then you think (risking boat and remaining crew) trying to keep your eyes on COB is already uber hard on a semi nice day, but full blown storm, limited viz and its gonna take every once of composure to get turned and close to COB. the life sling does offer an advantage that once close enough a disconnect from main sheeting and COB can be hoisted up using boom as fulcrum point. Im 210 lbs dry my wife is 100 lbs wet so no way in hell is she gonna get me out. I jump in and have the wife practice picking me up on calm days and 1-3 foot chop (lake Ontario) with a nice breeze, she gets pissed everytime i do it but this summer past she actually got to me and didnt run me over. Man over board is the scarriest training a couple can do.
Totally agree👍😄🌪. Is what we practice also. Good practice should you also happen on as a rescue boat.
Having my wife practice maneuvering around and object with the purpose of rescuing or aid in one helps her in close quarter handling out in the open also.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Totally agree👍😄🌪. Is what we practice also. Good practice should you also happen on as a rescue boat.
Having my wife practice maneuvering around and object with the purpose of rescuing or aid in one helps her in close quarter handling out in the open also.
Agreed and she drives most times to mooring and anchoring, this year shes learning reverse:eek
Great idea on being a rescue boat practice will implement that this summer:smile

81 - 83 of 83 Posts