SailNet Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been slacking as a new (to us) sailboat owner. The boat has gone a few seasons without a wax and is starting to oxidize. How do I determine if it's light, medium, or heavy oxidation?

Here are a few shots of the hull (https://www.dropbox.com/sh/l9gz6af1e8os8yn/AADsIzjhvOQ94__IxREqCYaia). Also I did buy some Star brite Instant Hull Cleaner but haven't had a chance to remove the scum line.

Also, I'm thinking about using 3M Restorer and Wax or Star brite One Step Heavy Duty Cleaner Wax with PTEF. If anyone has a preference I'd love some input.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Still has gloss...I'd say light to medium oxidation. Start with just cleaning with dawn or other "dish" soap (grease cutting, wax removing). Then hit it with marine polish and see if it comes out shiny with that deep wet look.

If not, then move up to oxidation remover (i use meguirs). If that doesn't work, them move up to compound. If that doesn't work...ugh, time to wet sand.

Maine Sails thread on boat care is awesome, btw. http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/52772-tips-compound-polish-wax.html

I differ on a few points on there (collinite fleet wax is the devil in the south where you have to wax several times a season, removing it requires oxidation remover)...but still a wealth of info.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool. I guess I'll just start with the Cleaner / Wax and then go to the Restorer / Wax for the parts of the boat that has no gloss at all like the top side. Thanks for the great link as well night0wl. I hadn't come across that one yet.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Kind of hard to tell in the pictures but I would say it looks like light to medium to me. I have seen way worse. At least you still have some shine. I do like the 3M Restorer.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks krazzz, also glad to hear people with positive results.

Tempest, do you think the Star brite Hull Cleaner will be good enough? I was told by someone to start with less harsh stuff first and only move on to the On/Off type products if the Hull Cleaner didn't clear it up.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Jfine, I haven't used that particular product, so I wouldn't want to venture a guess. I was looking at the scum line on your water line. The only thing that gets that off for me is on/off.
For the rest of hull you could certainly see if a mild cleaner works to your satisfaction 1st.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts